What's new

Did I just make a huge mistake!!! (1 Viewer)

Randy

Agent
I've been planning and saving to buy a 65 diamond mitsubishi. I loved the picture and the quality of the set. Then I saw the 70xbr950. It looked great and of course all the local stores told me it was much better than the mitsubishi. So I bought it, but now I'm worried I should have gotten the mitsubishi. Sales guys are no help because one week they're pushing one and the next week they're pushing the other. I've never spent that much money on any entertainment product and I'm just a little terrified.

Some background I got a sony 70xbr950 from sony for 4800.00 which is about the same I would end up paying for the mitsubishi.

any advice on either set. Is the Mitsubishi a better product? Did i just royally screw up?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Many like Sony better than Mitsubishi, many like Mitsu's better than Sony.

I can't imagine a 70" Sony DLP being a screw up, ever.....
The Mitsu Diamonds are all CRT RP right?

Are you not happy with it in some regaurd?

I would think the newer technology should win in the Sony, between the two.

Where did you buy a sony 70" lcd for $4800? Thats a hell of a deal.

personally, I would have bought the Mits. I had the oportunity to see the Mits 65 Diamond and the 70"Sony side by side, and the Mits blew away the Sonys picture detail in shadows and dim scenes. The same old LCD vs. CRT arguement. If that doesnt bother you, and the screen door doesnt bother you, then you got the right set.

I'd buy the Mits, LCD being newer tech or no, to me, the Mits has a better PQ.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dang there ain't no place around here that has the Sony 70" DPL yet.

On the deal factor, I think you got a screaming deal on the Sony anyways.

All technolgies have some trade offs, I would think the DLP would be better in at least a few areas.

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
Randy do you have a stand for the sony,I read somewhere the stand was $900.For that kind of money I would always second guess myself no matter which tv I bought.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There are many qualities of the LCD projector that make it better than the CRT Mits.

That said ... there are also many qualities of the Mits that make it better than the LCD unit.

Pure image quality ... likely the Mits, but the Sony will be far more watchable out of the box than the mits.

Of course with the Mits crt ... you have to deal with issues like warm up time ... convergence drift ... geometry issues ... colour shift from side to side ... light drop off depending on where you sit ... likelihood of crt burn in ...

With the Sony ... you deal with poorer blacks ... dead pixels ... motion artifacts inherent to LCD ...

Pick your poison ...

Regards

Randy, where did you buy the Sony for $4800?

And where could you get a Mits 65 Diamond for the same price?

I'm in the market and cant touch either one for anything near those prices.

Randy

Agent
Sony through the sony because of my sony film production discount and mitsubishi through goodguys

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Randy, I can understand having misgivings after spending such a chunk of change. But Michael TLV very cogently states the advantages and disadvantages of each unit and their respective technologies. If you stick with this deal and take delivery of the Sony, I'm sure you will end up loving the set after you see it strut its stuff. This, from a CRT diehard. JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks