What's new

Did I just blow out my receiver? Help! (1 Viewer)

Brad Scott

Agent
So I hooked my new system up last night:

NAD T742 A/V surround receiver
NHT SB-2s and SB-1s
NHT SuperCenter
Dayton 10" sub

Two minutes into testing it out, the NAD powers off. Just shuts down. Repeated attempts to power it back on result in the green power light on the face of the receiver flashing, but no display in the window — nothing, totally blank. It switches on and off with the remote, but other than the green light coming on, there is no display and no output to the speakers. What did I do?

I thought maybe I blew a fuse in the amp, or that the amp just couldn't handle the power. Can that be? The amp is rated at 120V 60Hz; the sub at 150 watts, and the speakers at 8 oms and 15 - 125 watts for the SB-1s and 15 - 150 watts for the SB-2s. All speakers were hooked to the appropriate inputs on the receiver, and the sub went in the audio pre-out sub input.

Does this sound like a blown fuse (does it even have a fuse), and why might this have happened?

Any advice appreciated.

Brad Scott

Agent
So given the specific speakers and sub that I'm using, the T742 should be able to power them effectively, right? I mean, it's not a case of the sub being too much wattage for the amp?

For instance, when a sub is rated at 150 watts, that's the most it can handle, correct? It doesn't mean that if the amp's rated at 125 watts, the extra 25 watts the powered sub has will blow the amp out, right?

I don't know - it's just very frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks