Did I just blow out my receiver? Help!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brad Scott, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Agent

So I hooked my new system up last night:

NAD T742 A/V surround receiver
    NHT SB-2s and SB-1s
    NHT SuperCenter
    Dayton 10" sub

Two minutes into testing it out, the NAD powers off. Just shuts down. Repeated attempts to power it back on result in the green power light on the face of the receiver flashing, but no display in the window — nothing, totally blank. It switches on and off with the remote, but other than the green light coming on, there is no display and no output to the speakers. What did I do?

I thought maybe I blew a fuse in the amp, or that the amp just couldn't handle the power. Can that be? The amp is rated at 120V 60Hz; the sub at 150 watts, and the speakers at 8 oms and 15 - 125 watts for the SB-1s and 15 - 150 watts for the SB-2s. All speakers were hooked to the appropriate inputs on the receiver, and the sub went in the audio pre-out sub input.

Does this sound like a blown fuse (does it even have a fuse), and why might this have happened?

Any advice appreciated.

2. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Have you checked to make sure you don't have any speaker wires touching in the back?

3. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Agent

I've disconnected all wires/cables since last night, and it still won't power up properly.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I would go back to your dealer with the problem. Sounds like something is definitely wrong.

5. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Agent

So given the specific speakers and sub that I'm using, the T742 should be able to power them effectively, right? I mean, it's not a case of the sub being too much wattage for the amp?

For instance, when a sub is rated at 150 watts, that's the most it can handle, correct? It doesn't mean that if the amp's rated at 125 watts, the extra 25 watts the powered sub has will blow the amp out, right?

I don't know - it's just very frustrating.