What's new

Did I hook up my DVD-Audio correctly? (1 Viewer)

I hate to ask this because I'm usually better at figuring this stuff out, but I'm going to anyway...

I just got a Denon 1600 DVD player that is DVD-A compatible and I have it hooked up through my Onkyo 898 receiver. For video, I'm running an optical audio cable (the only digital output on the 1600). Is this sufficient to play DVD-Audio as well? Or do I need to use the 6-channel analog output on the DVD player? If so, how do I tell my receiver to "look" to its 6 channel input? Both the 1600 and 898's instruction manuals are maddeningly obtuse on the subject of DVD-A.

As an aside, the only DVD-A title I have is the Band's "Music from Big Pink," which, while an amazing record, is a little old for me to really tell if I'm hearing high-res or just Dolby Digital.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
You will need to use the 6 channel audio output from the DVD 1600 to use the DVD-A feature. I'm not familiar w/your AVR but on my Harmon Kardon, there is a "6 Channel" option in the source menu (CD, DVD, Video 1,2,3, etc.).

Kha:T

Agent
Yup, for SACD and DVD-A, you'll have to use 3 pairs of analog RCA cables.

I just replaced an Onkyo TX-DS797 with an Onkyo TX-NR900. I believe the setup is the same for all Onkyo receivers. So in order to get SACD/DVD-A sound from your Onkyo 898, you'll have to select "multichannel" in "Input" menu for whichever source your DVD-A player is hooked up to. Then, when you play a DVD-A, you have to press the "audio selector" button on the front panel of the receiver and toggle to "multichannel." When you're done listening to "multichannel," remember to toggle it back to "analog" or "auto" so that you'll get sound when playing non-DVD-A's.

Thanks everyone for your responses - I finally got it figured out. Who knew that in the days when everything is on the remote control and you can do almost nothing on the actual unit that the one control I needed was on the face of the unit?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks