1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Did I hear correctly on the news, Toshiba is delaying release of HD-DVD Recorder?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jerome Grate, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I heard on the business news this morning (ABC News) that Toshiba was delaying release of their HD-DVD Recorder. The impression I got was this was going to be released here in the states, can anyone elaborate on this. I'll do a web search to get info, but if anyone knows please post.

2. Jerome Grate

3. Austan

Austan Second Unit

4. Jerome Grate

I noticed that price, who would buy a product at that price with limited HD material available. Way to high.

5. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Limited HD Material? Hmmm . . . HBO-HD, including movies and many of HBO's original series, such as The Sopranos and Deadwood. Showtime-HD, including movies and original series. ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD; NFL Sunday Ticket; MLB, Sporting Events of all kinds; Pay-per-view HD movies; usually premiering the day the Standard DVDs are released;HDNet and HDNet Movies, Universal HD, including the ability to record and archive Battlestar Galactica in HD; CSI (of various kinds), Law and Order (of various incarnations), Smallville, Lost, multiple sitcoms and other primetime shows in HD (currently only available on standard DVD); Discovery-HD; StarzHD.

I can think of a lot of reasons to get a player like this: even at that high price. For those that can afford it or save up for it, it certainly seems like a worthy investment. And because you record directly to the hard drive, you have the option of dumping your show to HD-DVD minus the commercials.

6. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

In Late 2000 ... Panasonic introduced the first generation of their DVD RAM recorder. The units cost $4000 srp ...

Oddly enough ... by late 2001 ... I had bought two of these units ... but for substantially less money.

A $3500 retail is high, but not that out of line. It delivers a heck of a lot more than the $4000 DVD RAM recorder.

Regards

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
  8. Jerome Grate

Good point Mike, for me HBO-HD would be a factor as well as Showtime HD. But not for 3,500 smackers.

9. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

Will this recorder be able to record home movies taken using my Sony HDV (1080i) camcorder? or Sanyo 720p solid state camcorder?

10. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Stunt Coordinator

This recorder is currently only being marketed for Japanese consumers, all of the articles linked say Toshiba currently has no plans to market the RD-A1 outside of Japan, I think it's safe to say we (the U.S. market) might have to wait a year or so before we see a stand alone HD recorder.

Also of interest; the two articles mention Toshiba's "hopes" as far as market penetration in Japan, however one mentions 10,000, and the ohter 100,000. OK, so one article quotes a sales goal, and the other quotes a production goal. I think even for Japanese consumers, 10,000 is a more realistic number.