Did I get taken - Dish500 dolby receive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

When I purchased my dish system, I opted to include the dolby digital receiver for my main room in anticipation of creating a home theater. Did I waste the cash, since from what I have read, that a good receiver will make the stero signal sound like dolby?

2. Jonathan Tuck

No - while many programs may be broadcast in 'surround where available' - that would only be dolby surround - not dolby digital. Any good home theater receiver can take a stereo signal and make a good attempt at giving dolby surround sound. If sending the receiver a true dolby surround that will sound even more realistic. When you send dolby digital you (if it's 5.1) get 5 seperate sound channels plus the bass which can be sent to a subwoofer. When you hear the difference between dolby surround/stereo and dolby digital you'll never mistake to two again. As Dish has a number of channels that now show dolby digital programs your choice will go well with a future home theater receiver....
    ------------------

3. Renny

Renny Auditioning

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Brad:
    Many AV Receivers have Digital Signal Processing modes (called DSP's) that can give you Hall, Stadium -style effects to the sound.
    And these receivers will take a stereo signal (provided by the NON-Dolby Dish receiver) and do ProLogic (aka Dolby Surround) decoding to give you a center-speaker-dialog and send sounds to the 2 rear speakers.
    So yes, you did over-buy a bit.
    But if you had asked us before you bought, we would have strongly advised you to go with the Dolby-equipped receiver. It's not that much more expensive, and it gives you capability that we want, and think you want as well.
    The Dolby receiver tends to give you more hook-up options as well. So you did the right thing, even if you dont take full advantage of it right now.

5. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Thanks for the reply's. I don't remember how I stumbled on to this board, but wow what a great "find". The posts are great & the reply's to people's questions are not only timely, but informative.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Your welcome. Dont forget to check out the other sections. (We may get you to upgrade to a PVR501 receiver [​IMG])