Did I get baited and switched??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JakeMcM, Feb 23, 2003.

1. JakeMcM

JakeMcM Stunt Coordinator

About a month ago I purchased a pair of V.3 Paradigm Monitor 7's with a V.3 cc-370 at a Canadian Paradigm dealer. It started when I made a few phone calls to a particular dealer from my home in the United States. The first few conversations I expressed my interest in the Paradigm Phantoms (lower line of speakers) They said that they had them on display but they weren't sure when they would actually have them in stock so they told me to call back in a few days. I called them back in a few days and they said the Phantoms still weren't in but they suggested I listen to the Monitor 7's (a step up from the Phantoms) they also said that since they weren't able to meet my need for the Phantoms that they would give me a "deal" on the Monitor 7's if I purchased them before the Phantoms came in (why am I so gullible) So the next day I drove up there to listen to the Monitors and the displayed phantoms. Well I really liked the monitor speakers better than the phantoms and still have no regrets to this day. But I did end up buying the speakers along with the matching V.3 cc-370. Well I had a limited amount of cash on me so we tried to come to an understanding on pricing. What it came to in American dollars was $760 including taxes. I just got $70 back for my GST claim so I ended up paying $690 for all three speakers. Upon writing this I realize that I may have been a victim of the age old bait and switch technique commonly used by car lots, and e-tailers. My question is was this a favorable deal for me or was I ripped off. It has been troubling me a bit for a few days and espeially since I am almost ready to buy my surrounds I want to know if I should give this place more of my money. If anyones interested I included a link to the Federal Trade Commisions website detailing the laws and the Bait and Switch tactic. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/baitads-gd.htm

2. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

Don't be troubled - you weren't ripped off. Probably did you a favor.

Mike

3. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] I did the exchange calculation. You paid 1033 Canadian before tax. I was offered a pair of 7s and 370 locally here in canada for 1140 and thought it not a bad deal. I bought them and a PW 2200 SUB (I traded in some gear so the actual price is kinda hard to tell you).

I think you got a good deal and although you were definitley "upsold" I think you would have been back witin a year to get the 7s (or something better eveen) as the Pahntoms to me just are not in the same calss.

No buyers remorse for you enjoy and I hate you for being able to get that GST back. The goverment in Canada still has mine [​IMG]

4. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

This is far from qualifying as a bait-and-switch. That would be more like: dealer puts out ad showing speaker X for a great deal (lets say 30% off) when you arrive at said store they are out of speaker X (and dealer KNEW they would be out of stock when he/she placed the ad) and instead dealer offers you speaker Y (an item with a higher margain) at 10% off. Another variation would be that speaker X is in stock, but dealer put undue pressure on you to purchase speaker Y (maybe saying how poor speaker X performs).

This is a bait and switch, what you experienced was a kind dealer who gave you a decent deal when the item you initially wanted wasn't in stock. I will admit that the "this deal is only good until the Phantoms are in stock" bit is cheesy.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

well kinda but it could've been a lot worse. if you're really pissed, just don't watch any movies with Canadian actors and refuse to drink Canadian Whiskey...that'll get em!

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal honestly and what you are feeling is maybe a bit of buyers remorse. What BradJudy mentioned was the correct definition of Bait and Switch.

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

8. Doug_M_Fraser

Jack:

I understand your concern and reference to the Federal Trade Commission.

I must point out that the FTC is a US government entity and in this case US law probably does not apply. Since you bought the speakers from a Canadian dealer you might want to check out the Canadian legistlation.

regards,
    Doug

9. Dick N

Dick N Extra

Just out of curiosity could you name the dealer? Since I live up here in Vancouver.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

well... then what's the complaint? You got a good deal, and very nice speakers. It's just that buyers remorse as usual. Have a blast, those speakers rock! [​IMG]

11. JakeMcM

JakeMcM Stunt Coordinator

I knew I had gotten a deal but what I left out was the price I paid was still more than I intended to spend. So what I was wondering if you guys thought this was a dishonest attempt at getting me to "upgrade" my speaker choice. Regardless of the deal if they were dishonest I don't want to spend my money there. But after learning what Bait and Switch really is, and some reassurance I most likely will. Thanks for the replies.

12. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

I don't think it's fair to blame the dealer if you spent more than you wanted to and I don't think it's fair to say a dealer is dishonest because he offers you a deal on speakers that are more expensive than you planned to buy in the first place.

It's up to you to walk away when the stakes are too high, and your own greed for a great deal definitely contributed. I can appreciate that a salesman can sway you one way or the other though. My regular salesman is zero pressure and fantastic to deal with, which has let me stew over studio40s for weeks now.

In the end, you got speakers that you thought sounded better at a good price. It's a lot better than a lot of people do, so do your best just to enjoy your new speakers.

13. Chris_James

Chris_James Auditioning

Just to put it into perspective, I just paid 732$ (tax included) on a pair of Monitor 7 v.3s at Definitive Audio in Seattle. So even if you were on the receiving end of some devious salesmanship you still came out way better than I did.

Of course, my bargaining "skills" are non-existant, and I didnt have to pay the 2$/gallon in gas to drive to Van. Although now I wish I had.

14. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

OUCH Chris!

I don't know how much Tax is in Seattle but 723$ US is 1080 Canadian. With tax I could have got Studio 40s for $1062 (TAX incl.) Canadian or about $715 US

I'd have to give your deal a big [​IMG]

15. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

You did not get bait-and-switch'ed.

An example would be a discount electronics chain advertising a sale on a DVD player for $40. When you get there, they have none to sell you. But look, here's a better one, and it'll only cost you seventy-nine-ninety-five! The low advertised price gets you into the store, where they try to sell you something entirely different that will actually make them some money.

In this case, they did not lure you into the store with a low advertised price on the lower end speakers. They seemed forthright with the fact that they did not have any and did not know when they would have any to sell you, before you made the trip to the store. The offered you a better-than-sticker deal on the higher end model which they had in stock and you thought enough of that model and that deal to take advantage of the offer. I honestly don't see any problem whatsover.