Did I get a good price on these Paradigm Mini Monitors and CC-170??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Da Silva, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I went to my local dealer AVI Electronics last night and bought a pair of Mini Monitors and a CC-170 center channel speaker. I paid $269 for the Mini's and $159 for the CC-170. I think this is a good deal but I just wanted your comments, also 6th Ave Electronics wanted $575 for the same setup!!!!
    ------------------

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    If possible return the CC-170 for a CC-350/370. It's a far better center for the Monitor series. You got a good price on the Mini's! Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Are they V1 or V2? That's a pretty good price for both of them. Be aware that if they are V1s, they have been discontinued for over a year and may be remanufactured. I have some V1 Titans, as well as V2s, and there is no noticable difference in sound. V2s will say "V2" on the back.
    I agree that the 370 is a better match for the Minis. I demoed minis with the 170 and they blended much better than I expected, but the 370 is a better center.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

4. Dan Da Silva

They are all V2's, I made sure of that before I bought them. I orginally wanted the CC-370 center but my dealer told me I really didn't need it that it would be overkill for my system and that the CC-170 will work just fine. so I went with him, I figured this guy is the owner of the store and he isn't trying to push me to spend another $200 or so on the CC-370, so I decided to listen to him and just get the 170.
    ------------------

5. John Garcia

John
    I have a 170, and with it set to small, it works perfectly. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

6. Dan Da Silva

Yeah John I'm going to have mine set to Small also, so I didn't see much of a difference between getting the 370 for an extra $200 if I was going to set that to Small also.
    ------------------

7. Ka Yuen

Ka Yuen Agent

Dan,
    The 370 has the same tweeter as the mini monitors if I have not mistaken. The 170 use the same tweeter as the atoms and titans. I would think you would want a matching tweeter. Just MHO.

8. John Garcia

John
    This is what I thought also, and I was even told this by my salesperson. But as I said, the Minis blended very well in my system with the 170, much to my surprise. The tweeters are of a different construction and material, but their sound is farily similar. The Paradigm series uses metal tweeters, while the Monitor series uses Ceramic/metal hybrids.
    It's actually the midbass drivers that are more notably different between them. The Paradigm series uses a butylene or some other type of low cost plastic blend driver, while the Monitor series uses polyproylene drivers with much larger magnets. This was where I noticed the biggest difference between the two in sound.
    The Monitor series is much more accurate and handles louder volumes much better.
    Irrespective of all that, Paradigm has recommended configurations on their very own website that pairs the Minis with a 170.