did i get a good deal on my paradigms 5.1

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by dajaga, Jul 13, 2003.

1. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

hey i already have a sub but this is what i bought for 1100.00$ canadian dollars.
    monitor7 600.99
    cc270 235.99
    micros 140.99
    taxes it came out to 141.81
    and i can up grade my speekers in the future too. so did i get a good deal for now or what.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

IT would seem so. Although you should have gotten the 370 to match better with the monitor fronts. I think that setup will be stellar still.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Agreed on both points, sounds like a pretty good deal, and the CC370 should be your first upgrade.

4. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

yeah in a couple months when i get some more money. i was planning on going to
    monitors 11 or 90p
    cc370
    and adp370.
    and by the years end im thinking of buying a lg 50 in. projection screen.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    When you get into the price of 11s and 90ps, you are in Studio territory, as well as a large selection of other speakers which are also very good.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yeah I'm with john, definitely don't upgrade to the 11s or 90p. You're FAR better off stepping up to the studio series, or another equal or slightly better speaker.

7. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

ok so speaker do you recomend. i would prolly go with the 11's instead because i dont need the built in sub.

8. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

bbump

9. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Do not go to the 11s.

If you like Paradigm (I do) my next upgrade would be to a similar setup to mine.

Monitor 7
    CC370
    Mini Monitor Rears

I don't know what SUB you have but I found the Paradigm PW 2200 to be a great sub for the $ in Canada.

Next step if you want to stay Paradigm would be to the Studio series BUT with the new version 3 out if there are not V2s still around going to the new Version 3 would be a HUGE price jump.

You did get a good deal on the prices of the speakers from what I can see.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, no, it wouldn't be a huge jump in price at all. he already has a sub, (which I have no idea how good it is). He doesn't need any MORE bass probably, if it's not so good a sub, you could upgrade it to very good effect. He can easily step up to the studio V3s, they start at $800 (US) probably about the same or a tad more in canadian dollars, for the studio 20s. If he has a solid sub to fill in a little bit of the low end, he won't be losing any bass, and will be gaining a lot better sound, rather than spending money on a monitor 11 which will yield just more bass, because the midrange and tweeters are all the same. The overall sound won't improve at all. If you are plenty happy with the sound as it is, (again I don't know how good your sub is) you may just want to leave it as is, or upgrade your sub. Still, go take a listen to some speakers at prices around the monitor 11s, including the studio series. If you have a trade-in policy, it would probably be worth it, but remember that the monitor 11 is pretty much the same speaker as the monitor 7, except with more bass drivers. The detail, clarity and ALL that will be identical(pretty much). Stepping up a line, to say studio 60s, or 40s or 20s would gain you far better sound. If you can reach to the 60s, that would be similar to the monitor 7, except with FAR better sound.

11. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

oh i forgot to say my sub sorry i got the ps1000. btw i kinda want the monitor 11 just mainly for the look and to show off [​IMG] ok so is the studio series the next step up from the monitor series. if so i think i will do this.
    now - upgrade
    ps1000 - pw2200
    monitor 7 - (either) studio 11 or studio 100
    cc270 - cc370
    micro - adp370 i will prolly up grade this one 2nd after my sub.

12. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Just got your speakers and already thinking ahead to an upgrade.[​IMG]

13. Doug Fogle

Doug Fogle Stunt Coordinator

This is just my opinion as a long time digm user,but I think you have their best bang for the buck speaker now,esp.if used with a sub.And I had mon.9,so its not a case of picking my speaker as the best.I would agree with the other posts-you should upgrade the center and surrounds first.And I would listen closely to the adp's before buying to make sure they're what you want-I personally prefer direct speakers all around,but thats just me.Still,you could almost get another pair of 7's for the cost of the adp,or 4 mini-mon.to have 7.1..The reference line is great but not twice as good as your monitors IMO.But if your getting full retail of your 7's towards upgrading,well then..anyway you look at it its a nice choice to have.

14. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

when will the next line of speakers come out that are better then the monitor series. the studio series doesnt relly appeal to me. it looks almost like a downgrade. so doug you think that i should get a pair of 7's for my surrounds. or maybe i might go monitor 9 in front and surrounds and have the adp370 as my center and have the pw2200. but what works better as surrounds tower speakers or book shelfs.

15. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

??? The v2s are quite an upgrade from the monitor series, IMO. The V3s are coming out as we speak, so you could find some crazy good deals on the outgoing Studio V2s. The V3s are more expensive, and while I've not heard them specifically, they are almost the same as the brand new Signature Series, which I have heard, and is WAY better than the Studio V2s. If the V3s are anything like that, which they should be since most of the drivers are the same between the Studio V3s and the Signatures, it's a world above the monitor series, IMO. I have the monitor series, and I love them, but it is definitely NOT a downgrade to the studio series... I dunno where you got that idea. You need to go listen to some of these things before you start making decisions.

As for surrounds, it's really pointless to have towers for surrounds. Most people run all their speakers small, and send all the bass to the sub. I would focus more on the main speakers, spending more there and on the sub, rather than spending big money on the surrounds. If you have everything set small, it hardly even makes sense to buy towers if you watch mainly movies. If you listen to music, then there is some benefit from towers in the front, although I almost always err on the side of a better bookshelf a line up, rather than a big behemoth tower that doesn't sound as good, yet may have superior bass.

The ADP 370 is a dipolar/bipolar surround speaker, not the center. You mean the CC370, that is the center that matches with the monitor series. The Studio CC matches with the V2 studios which are on their way out. There are two new centers that match the new V3 Studios, the CC 470, and the CC 570. Again, moving up to monitor 9s won't net you any improvement in sound, and is a waste of $$. If you want more/better bass, thats money better spent towards a subwoofer. And if your subwoofer is fine for you, I strongly reccomend that you upgrade to speakers that are actually better. And buying towers or large bookshelfs for the surrounds is pretty pointless unless you want to run everything large, in which case you might need something like 90p s all around, and thats far better done with a better sub than big speakers all around, IMO. You need to go listen to these speakers and decide what is right for you.

Buying a bigger speaker in the monitor series to "show off" is really stupid. You are FAR better off, as we have all repeated, to get a superior sounding speaker. I personally would rather have a studio 20, than a Monitor 7. Better sound, period. Some other great speakers in around a grand that would be a significant step up would be the B&W CDM series, the smallest one is about a grand, and is very nice. The Dynaudio audience 52 gets stellar reviews, I've not heard it yet, i will soon though, you should probably check it out. Again, go listen to these speakers we're mentioning, and also look at subs. If you are looking to impress people with bass, a good sub will do that, and improve your system far more than getting any bigger than monitor 7s. Make a smart purchase, based on the sound YOU like, not what your friends would be impressed with. They'd probably be impressed more with floor-to-ceiling Cerwin Vegas that sound like crap anyway...

16. Doug Fogle

Because you know his friends have no taste,right?I dunno,I tried to say it was my own opinion,but to make a blanket statement like its pointless to have full range surrounds seems to just be your opinion-a lot of people do.I don't think anyone needs to be called stupid either,but again thats my opinion.If you read my post I mentioned the mon.7 as an alternative to the adp.for about the same money-thats all.I personally found I liked the direct sound better and was suggesting he make sure he liked the adp before investing in them,because you can get a lot of speaker for the cost of the adp.I agree I would stick with the 7 over the 9,thoughI wouldn't exactly call either one of them "behemoth".I ran my 9 as small and let the sub do the low end,but still found a dramatic improvement running another pair of 9's as sides-mainly in the midrange.But then again that is just me-I did mention minis in the same sentence.

17. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Teo things that kept me from going to Studio 20 or 40 rather than Monitor 7 (at the time) were price (you have to BUY STANDS with either making them more expensive than Monitor 7) and amplification. Monitor towers are much more sensative than Studio 20/40. You need A LOT more power to get the best out of studios than out of Monitors. Yes Studios ARE better no doubt . But version 3 studio 20s are supposed to be $1000 Canadian plus what $200 Can for stands? That is ALOT more $ than 6-700 for monitor 7s.

18. Doug Fogle

dejaja,my opinion on the questions you asked:I'm assuming your dealer has the paradigm upgrde option where you can trade your speakers for other digms within a year and get full credit?If so I would get to know the sound of the 7's for a few months-they are a great speaker,esp.with a sub.All mon.use the same driver for low bass and midrange,and using a sub allows the 7 to reproduce only the mid,which is their strength IMHO.I would agree the first priority should be upgrading your center,and then the surrounds,and then just listen.Digms all have a similiat sound,they just get better as you spend more.For myself,I didn't find the studio's were enough of an improvement to justify their cost,but I wasn't geting full credit on my 9's either.If you are,a lot of people have 20's or 40's all around-they both have a surprisingly full sound for their size.But if you're paying full price on them you might want to lokk at other brands also.Again,get to know your 7's,decide if the paradigm sound is for you.Decide what you love about them,and what you don't(if anything)Are you using them more for HT or music?Because that will have the biggest impact on what you want for an upgrade.

19. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I wasn't blasting on you doug, but it seemed somewhat silly to me that he would shun the studios, and decide to upgrade to monitor 9s just because they have more drivers, are cooler looking, etc. to impress people. That's not the way to buy speakers. That type of reasoning is pretty silly (yes perhaps even stupid...) I was a little put off because I, and John, and Jamie all recommended he NOT upgrade to monitor 11s, because there would be no real improvement, and that it would be a better investment to move up to the studio line, or the many other great speakers in that pricerange instead. Yet he just decides to get the 11s regardless, because they are "cooler/more impressive looking," without even hearing the studios, or the B&Ws, or anything else.

There are many a reason as you stated for going monitor 7s all around, for instance. That would probably be ideal if you listen to multi-channel music a lot. For movies though, it's far more value for the dollar to spend that money elsewhere in the system, such as for a better sub, and then you can cross over the bass from the smaller speakers (such as mini-monitors) and you probably end up being plenty satisfied.

There are also quite legitimate reasons for going monitor 9 or higher, for instance you're a big 2-channel buff and want to run full-range without a sub, and say only use the sub for music. That's a perfectly solid reason. I personally, would prefer a better bookshelf for clearer mids and highs for 2-channel, but many others DO prefer that bass without the use of a sub, and thus would prefer larger towers.

Also, we don't know his receiver and the like. He may have a killer receiver which could more than power studios instead of moving up the monitor line, which, again if he's looking for an UPGRADE, will not improve sound other than in the bass department. He may very well also have a less-than adequate receiver which would not do justice to the studio series OR the monitor series, in which case THAT might be a better place to upgrade.

Well, that's my advice for like the third time, at the very least audition the different speakers we've mentioned...

20. Doug Fogle

Sorry Chris for taking offense when none was meant.And I think we're all pretty much in agreement.Dejaja,I find the smaller woofer on the 7 more to my liking than the 9,and always regretted the choice I made.The 9 goes lower,but to me the 7's smaller driver has a tighter sound and is less boomy.The 11 has a fuller sound but still isn't as good as the 7 with a sub.And if you use a sub with the 11 do you really need 3 woofers for midrange?Only you can decide...