What's new

Did I find a rare copy of The Omega Man at Borders? (1 Viewer)

Mark Tay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Anyone who has both versions, care to tell us if there is any difference in the disc itself and/or the transfer of the film?

I'm very curious.

ScottFH

Stunt Coordinator
Went to Borders on my lunch hour today & found both "versions" for sale.

After intense & close perusal of the packaging on each I came to the conclusion that the "old release" is in P&S format.

Granted I didn't buy one, open it & actually watch it.

But based on the info on the back of the packaging at the bottom, I'd bet it's "Standard Format" (ugh!).

Much nicer cover, though!!!

Anyone else?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is a film I'd never have thought twice about except for this thread. Soooooooo, when I was at my local Borders last night, the only copy of this they had in their sales bin was this one:

William Miller

Second Unit
The "old" Omega Man has the widescreen version and the P&S version which is the way Warner did a lot of DVD's back in 1999. So you should not hesitate to buy this. I still think it's going to be somewhat collectible in the future.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Saw both at my local Borders this weekend as well. Personally not interested int he film so I left them there-I think there were actually two of the "old" one and one of the new one.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
If this becomes a collectible, there is no hope for the world as we know it. There is NO REASON for this to be a collectible, unless you've got to have that pan&scan version. Of course, people do collect backscratchers, so who knows...

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up an "old version" at Borders today.

Rare or not, I think it's pretty neat. Good film and a bit more relevant than we would have thought just a few years ago.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
A several years ago I went to Border's to try and find One of those copies of Little Shop Of Horrors but they didnt have any. I did however find a Criterion edition of the 400 Blows that I picked up and promply traded it for an import copy of Star Wars episode one on laserdisc. Thats when the laserdisc was selling for like $140. Sold the laser a year later for $80. Not bad for a $40 purchase.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I was scrounging through a rack of the Warner "price reduction" titles today, found lots of good stuff I wanted, stuff that had been in the back of my mind to get "one day" (like all the Chris Guest and NL Vacation movies). There were lots of copies of the old Omega Man. I got the new one, but I thought the older cover was a little nicer; certainly appears to be no compelling reason to get the new one if you have the old one, as far as significant features go.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not rare. My local Wal-Mart has 3 or 4 copies of the old version, which came in after they sold out of the new version.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the "purple" version of The Omega Man at Borders. The packaging states both pan and scan and widescreen versions are included, but the disc inside was clearly the new, single sided, widescreen-only version. I certainly have no complaints with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks