What's new

Did I do the right thing? (Driveway/grass) Long (1 Viewer)

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
I bought a new home a little more than year ago. The curbs are at an angle so you can drive over them. That means you drive over this "curb" into your driveway. Problem is, it scrapes the car's underside as it goes over it. It doesn't scrape truck's or SUV's underside. (Unless you lowered it.)

Now, all the other homes are getting thier driveways redone by the home builder. They have to tear out the driveway and lower it by removing the dirt underneath. They also have to cut away the "curb." (The "curb" is at a high 45 to 55 degree angle.) Since the driveway is lowered, the grass/yard has to be lowered as well.

Here is my dilemma. My yard looks like a well kept golf course. I put allot of money keeping my Bermuda grass green, thick, and healthy. Some of my neighbors are stunned at how my yard looks compared to thiers. In order to keep my yard the way it is, I chose not to have my driveway redone. (I drive a Ranger EDGE)

Once all the driveways are redone, I'll be the only one with a "high" driveway. There is talk that the Home owners association might make me get the driveway redone so it can match with the others. That means my perfect yard will be torn up! :angry: I seen how they redid the yards after the driveway was releveled. Its all uneven and they didn't even clear out the debris on some of them. I'll have to pour more money into my yard to get it looking good again!

Am I doing the right thing and not letting them redo my driveway? Some people say I may have a hard time selling my house if the buyer happens to drive a car. What should I do?

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Is it possible for the to put a little less of an angle on the entrance to your driveway. Kinda like a ramp where it gradually rises. I think leave it like you like it unless the HOA makes you redo it. You have put a lot of care into your yard don't waste it.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
I think leave it like you like it unless the HOA makes you redo it.
I'm going to have to wait and see. If I get that letter from the HOA, then I may have to let them redo my driveway.

I just hate it when people tells me, "Its only grass, it'll grow back." Yes, it will grow back. But if you want a green, thick and healthy lawn, you have to put money into it!! I already spent over $600!! (This includes the backyard as well.)

Edit: You can view the curb and driveway here

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Evelio,
See if you can talk to someone at the HOA and tell them your delema.

Grass or no grass, tell them how much youve spent getting it to look good and if they are going to destroy it they should also pay to get it looking good again.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Grass or no grass, tell them how much youve spent getting it to look good and if they are going to destroy it they should also pay to get it looking good again.
I already asked the home builder to be carefull when they redo my neighbors driveway. They understood my delema and did not touch my yard.

Oh! I forgot to mention. In some parts of the curb they went ahead and cut all of it out. Meaning the sidewalk and driveway in front of the house is the same level of the street. I know having no curb in front of your home can cause problems. Rain water can be a problem if it comes down in buckets. Also some idiot can drive into your lawn if he is not carefull. Why can't they see this?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Go to arbitration :) Don't most homeowner policies have some kind of third party arbitration kind of thing if you disagree with their policy?

Whatever you do, document the labor and cost you do for lawn upkeep and get some pictures of the yard before they start. Not sure how much you can do to fight the HOA (or if you even want to, that's your call). It might not be favorable to you if all your neighbors are converting and you're left the oddone out. It's one of those things with living in a development.

Jay

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Don't most homeowner policies have some kind of third party arbitration kind of thing if you disagree with their policy?
I have to look into it.

If I can get these guys to bring the new grass/sod back to the way I had it, then I'll be happy. But I don't see that happening.

I hope I don't hear from the HOA.

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO, you should let them fix the thing. In the long run you are not going to want a driveway the scrapes.

However, I would make sure they re-grade your yard acceptably.

As for your lawn, you can do it again (just think of how much fun it will be!) and it is not that big that the expense is going to be out of control.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
As for your lawn, you can do it again (just think of how much fun it will be!) and it is not that big that the expense is going to be out of control.
Fun? Not really.

Its not the expense thats going to get me, its all that time and effort I have to put into it again.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I would hold out until the HOA makes you a better deal. The squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say, if they want it bad enough you can get them to foot the bill for your new (repaired) lawn. If they don't want to make a deal and you don't need a new curb, then no worries. Just go on with your life.

PS - Any secret tips for keeping a healthy green lawn? must admit I have a brown thumb for plants, I kill em pretty quick! Maybe post a few hints here or PM/email them to me? I would love to hear what you do...

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Can you wait until winter to have them do the work? Seems like there might be less of a risk then.

I'd definitely have it done. Little things like that can leave a BIG impression on a buyer when they come to visit the house.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Call a small landscape guy and tell him what you want, show him the state the other yards were left in and get an estimate to fix yours back to like it is now. Once you get that send a copy to the HOA and tell them that as long as they will pay the landscapers bill to have at it.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Could you not build a short retaining wall to keep the lawn at the current height and lower the driveway and remove the curb. Might look very nice and leave your lawn level and make it stand out that much more.

My backyard is like this (backs up to a school field). All the other houses on the block have a sloped lawn and mine is perfectly level. :D

HOA can be good and they can be bad... Hope yours is one of the good ones.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
"" what Chris said. A terracec to hold your lawn grade off the driveway would be a nice alternative. The HOA should pay for any damage they do in the process of adjust ing your grade, including lawn.

From what you said about your neighbors yards it would appear you care more about your home than they do about theirs. Maybe i is time to take profits from your home and move on up.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
From what you said about your neighbors yards it would appear you care more about your home than they do about theirs. Maybe i is time to take profits from your home and move on up.
I wish I could move on up. If I didn't have car payments and loans to pay, I'll do it.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
You know what they say. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
True.

You know, I wonder if any member from the HOA has seen my yard. Once they level out the yard they will put sod back in. Problem is, its hard to keep sod alive during the hot summer months. I don't want to go through what I mentioned above again. (Using Miracle-gro every 2 weeks ETC.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks