Did I damage my speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haris Ellahi, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

I recently purchased the Klipsch RF-7s, RC-7, and RS-7s. Since I do not have an A/V receiver right now, I just experimenally hooked one of my RF-7s as a subwoofer by connecting the subwoofer cable of my Creative DeskTop Theater PC speakers to the LF post of the RF-7. When I played some music, the bass was AWESOME! However, there were some "pops/farts" and so I stopped after like 5 mins.

My question is this, have I damaged the RF-7 in any way? I asked this question on the Klipsch forums and they said most likey no. But I just wanted to make sure. I know this was a very stupid thing to do to such speakers but I was feeling "ichy." :p)

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

There is almost no chance you damaged the speakers. It takes a lot to damage a speaker like that...

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah. Doubtfull you damaged anything unless the volume was super loud for super long. But yeah, may as well NOT do it again since it was less than confidence inspiring [​IMG]

4. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Thanks guys!
    By the way, the the Creative DeskTop Theater amp that I connected the RF-7 to is meant to power 5 watt PC speakers, so I doubt too anything happened...hopefully. [​IMG]
    Secondly, I connected the RF-7 to the "subwoofer out" of the amp. I connect the cable ONLY to the LF post and not to the HF post, thus the tweeter was NOT being used, only the woofers were being used.

5. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

One more thing, the amp is rated at 4 ohms, but the RF-7s are 8 ohms. Anything to worry about here?

6. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

No, don't worry, that amp could have exploded inside an RF-7 and it would be just fine.

7. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Holy over-excursion! While experimenting a friend of mine slammed an aluminum cone so hard into the driver's motor assembly that it left a permanent circular imprint of the voice coil gap on the cone. It still works.[​IMG] Obviously too much of this kind of activity will take it's toll eventually.

8. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

Hey Michael, you cracked me up with that statement about the amp! funny stuff there but true[​IMG]