I just got a new HT setup consisting of the following

Vizio 552XVT
Sony STR1000
Vizio VBR110
Motorola DCH3416

BluRay is connected to the receiver via HDMI
TV is connected to the receiver via HDMI
Cable box is connected to the receiver via HDMI

Am I mistaking be thinking that I should get audio and video from the cable box to the TV via the HDMI cable that runs to the receiver and then from the receiver to the TV? I was getting the audio, which I confirmed by turning the channel, but no video. At that point i'm thinking it's because I didn't have a coax cable running from the cable box to the TV. So I connected one, but also ran the HDMI from the cable box directly to the TV. Now I get audio and video, but the audio is via the TV speaker only, not the HT speakers.

Is it necessary to have the coax connected? I'm thinking it might be possible that I simply didn't select the appropriate HDMI input on the TV which is why I wasn't getting the video, but why would I be getting the sound if that were the case? Seems kinda odd.

Also, would I be better off running the BluRay and cable box directly to the TV instead of thru the receiver? I'd like to run just HDMI only, I should be able to do that, right?

Real Name
Marty Troum
A couple of points here...Connecting the HDMI cables from sources to receiver and then receiver to TV is correct. The sound will come from your receiver to the external speakers. In order to get video, you must have the TV setup indicating the proper HDMI input (HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.) wherever you plugged the HDMI cable coming from the receiver output. The coaxial cable to the TV is extraneous (don't use it) and will give only standard definition video and the audio will come from TV speakers.

Running the blu-ray and cable box through the receiver gives you the ability to get sound from your stereo system (not the TV speakers) and it gives you switchability with only one HDMI cable to the TV from the receiver.

SQMonte

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rich
Originally Posted by MartybenSchmuel /forum/thread/298839/did-i-connect-this-right#post_3669962

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks