What's new

Did I buy the right Component Cable?? (1 Viewer)

Pam

Auditioning
Hi

I just bought a 32" JVC Model AV-32230.

The TV has the Component inputs, and I bought a

Monster Component Cable to hook my Samsung DVD to

the TV, (Monster Component Cable model MV2CV-1.5m).

There are so many cables. I bought the cable recommended

by the Best Buy salesmen, but I see there are other component cables for less money. Accoustics Component cable is $29.99, and the Monster cable I bought was $59.99.

Does anyone know if I bought the right cable, or if

the salesman was just trying to sell me the most expensive?

I bought that model TV over other similiar priced TVs, because it had the component inputs.

Thanks, Pam

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Pam,
First off welcome to the forum. :)
I say hook it up and see how it looks. If it looks good to you then I would say you did alright. Cables are a very personal subject around here. Some people think they make a considerable difference and some people don't. What you can try and do is find a place with a good return policy and try a bunch of cables out if you have some spare time. You may very likely find that the cheaper cables look just as good or better than the Monster cables. Then again you might not.
However Monster cables are very reputable and are very well built and I don't think you can go wrong for buying them by any means.
Kevin C. :)

Ed_A

Stunt Coordinator
Pam,

Kevin gives some great advice. As he mentioned, cables are a very personal choice. Unfortunately Monster Cables are usually the only available cable most retailers carry, not giving the consumer much to choose from. The good thing is that Best Buy has a great return policy, even on cables.

I was in your same position when I bought my 32" with component inputs. Price wise I was willing to spend something in between the Acoustic Research and the Monster cables, but since most retailers don't carry anything in between I ended up buying both brands at Best Buy. I tried both cables and found similar results; so since they both gave similar performance, the cheaper product wins. I returned the Monster with no questions asked.

To throw a wrench into it all, a buddy of mine introduced me to Canare cables about two weeks later. Unfortunately these are no where near as readily available as other cables. They are custom cables, considered high quality, at a price between the AR and Monster, but with better performance. (Significantly better? Depends who you talk to. To me they were better and worth the extra cost, but still less than Monster. You start to see why cables are so personal)

So the long answer to your question is to follow Kevin's advice:

Pick up the AR cables, try out both cables, you may need to recalibrate your TV each time, and see if you can tell a difference.

HTH,

Ed

Chip E

Screenwriter
Hey Pam, welcome,
Good advice has been given so far.. The Monster "M" series is a fine cable and will do just fine connected to your TV from your dvd player. I used the same cable until i recently upgraded it to a CatCables "Tigress" component cable. :)
- Chip

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Pam: There IS a difference in cables both in price and how it is used.

Consider these 2 systems:

System A: 35" tube, component video, 4 foot run to DVD player

System B: A 80" front-projector system, Progressive/HD video, 25 foot run

You know that when you look at nearly anything close-up or blow it up with a magnifying glass that you start to see imperfections. For the 2 systems above, either cable would be fine for system A. But for system B, the Monster cable should be used. It is a much larger display, it is running higher bandwidth signals and a much longer run.

You basically over-bought for your system. Did you get ripped off? I dont think so. $60 for a good component cable is not bad. (Some long component cables, HD capable start at $120).

If the $30 difference is important to you, go ahead and return the Monster and get the AR cables.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks