did i buy different (possibly inferior version) gladiator disc???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

there was this temporary kiosk in our school selling a bunch of dvd and i saw gladiator disc for cheap so i grabbed one. Now thing is, when i opened the disc the usual 'nicely painted smooth' surface of the disc has been replaced with somewhat rough print surface. It has the colloseum in the background too. Now did i get a different version than what is currently sold in stores??? It has two discs, Disc one - feature and Disc two - bonus material. The title in front says "Signature Selection" as opposed to collectors edition. Tested the first disc for 10 mins and everything seems fine quality wise. I don't know if other parts of the movie have issues.

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Sounds like the same disc I have. Why do you think there's something wrong with it?

3. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

it might be a cheap bootleg that somebody was selling off as the original with the same packaging and so on or you may have just have gotten a bad copy. Give it back to where ever you got it from and get another copy. If it is the same print, it was a bootleg. Also, try cleaning the disc with some DVD disc sprey.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'm not sure what you mean by a "nicely painted, smooth surface," but it sounds exactly like my copy which was purchased immediately after release. Kind of a dark, shadowy shot of the coliseum.

5. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

how do i know for sure it is a booleg??? Packaging looks pretty original too me. Upon further inspection i noticed that the first disc had some superficial scratches and the inner circle (one that has no data in it) has impurities. The second disc is fine. I'll try to get it replaced tomorrow since those minor imperfections are unacceptable to me, brand new and all.

6. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

When you say "smooth surface" what exactly are you referring to? The prints on the two discs are slightly rough I guess you could say, but this occurs everytime a print covers the whole face of the DVD. If they do not have another or will not let you return for some reason, I would not be bothered with it as long as it plays, unless of course this was advertised as a "new product" but has obviously been used. That said I do not think this is a bootleg following from the fact that the print on the DVD is rough. Good luck.

-Eric

7. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

If it works ok, it doesnt really matter. But it sonds normal to me.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

It is a "Signature Collectoin" release...so I think you got the official version.

9. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

What i meant with 'smooth' surface was the surface that was like in my other DVD discs. Shrek, Matrix, and Moulin Rouge all have smooth surfaces on top as oppossed to the 'rough' print on the gladiator discs. But i haven't seen any other gladiator DVD's so i wouldn't know if it looked like the others.
    well it was advertised as 'new'. It really wouldn't bother since they seem to work fine. Even if it is in fact second hand i only got it for about $15 US. That's false advertising though which i truly frown upon[​IMG]

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    My Gladiator discs are both gold colored on the underside, too. Most others seem to be silver.

11. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

just checked, they're gold. Actually i've never seen a silver colored DVD disc.

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There are tons of single layer (silver) discs

The difference in what you're seeing is just how the disc lable is applied. If it's an actual label, or a few other processes, it's smooth. If it's screen printed (which I've never seen a bootleg have) it's "rough"

13. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

I'm still not sure why you think there is a problem... (other than perhaps a slight suspicion that it might be "used")

14. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

If you can, take a look at the serial-number/UPC code inscribed around the inner ring of the disc. You should see the number 86386 visible somewhere.

15. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit