What's new

did i buy different (possibly inferior version) gladiator disc??? (1 Viewer)

Salvador

Second Unit
there was this temporary kiosk in our school selling a bunch of dvd and i saw gladiator disc for cheap so i grabbed one. Now thing is, when i opened the disc the usual 'nicely painted smooth' surface of the disc has been replaced with somewhat rough print surface. It has the colloseum in the background too. Now did i get a different version than what is currently sold in stores??? It has two discs, Disc one - feature and Disc two - bonus material. The title in front says "Signature Selection" as opposed to collectors edition. Tested the first disc for 10 mins and everything seems fine quality wise. I don't know if other parts of the movie have issues.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Sounds like the same disc I have. Why do you think there's something wrong with it?

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
it might be a cheap bootleg that somebody was selling off as the original with the same packaging and so on or you may have just have gotten a bad copy. Give it back to where ever you got it from and get another copy. If it is the same print, it was a bootleg. Also, try cleaning the disc with some DVD disc sprey.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I'm not sure what you mean by a "nicely painted, smooth surface," but it sounds exactly like my copy which was purchased immediately after release. Kind of a dark, shadowy shot of the coliseum.

Salvador

Second Unit
how do i know for sure it is a booleg??? Packaging looks pretty original too me. Upon further inspection i noticed that the first disc had some superficial scratches and the inner circle (one that has no data in it) has impurities. The second disc is fine. I'll try to get it replaced tomorrow since those minor imperfections are unacceptable to me, brand new and all.

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
When you say "smooth surface" what exactly are you referring to? The prints on the two discs are slightly rough I guess you could say, but this occurs everytime a print covers the whole face of the DVD. If they do not have another or will not let you return for some reason, I would not be bothered with it as long as it plays, unless of course this was advertised as a "new product" but has obviously been used. That said I do not think this is a bootleg following from the fact that the print on the DVD is rough. Good luck.

-Eric

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It is a "Signature Collectoin" release...so I think you got the official version.

Salvador

Second Unit
What i meant with 'smooth' surface was the surface that was like in my other DVD discs. Shrek, Matrix, and Moulin Rouge all have smooth surfaces on top as oppossed to the 'rough' print on the gladiator discs. But i haven't seen any other gladiator DVD's so i wouldn't know if it looked like the others.
well it was advertised as 'new'. It really wouldn't bother since they seem to work fine. Even if it is in fact second hand i only got it for about $15 US. That's false advertising though which i truly frown upon:angry:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My Gladiator discs are both gold colored on the underside, too. Most others seem to be silver.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There are tons of single layer (silver) discs

The difference in what you're seeing is just how the disc lable is applied. If it's an actual label, or a few other processes, it's smooth. If it's screen printed (which I've never seen a bootleg have) it's "rough"

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still not sure why you think there is a problem... (other than perhaps a slight suspicion that it might be "used")

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
If you can, take a look at the serial-number/UPC code inscribed around the inner ring of the disc. You should see the number 86386 visible somewhere.

Salvador

Second Unit
I'm still not sure why you think there is a problem... (other than perhaps a slight suspicion that it might be "used")
that's right. THe guy said they're brand new so why the hell is he selling me second hand stuff advertised as brand new??? Well anyway, i got the scratched up disc replaced with a little bit of haggling. I noticed the new disc had a 'faint' smudged fingerprint impression on it. I'll all but convinced that this guy is selling second hand stuff that's repackaged or something. But anyway its still cheap and the discs are original (thanks for clearing up the smooth screening issue BTW) so i'm satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks