What's new

Did I buy a bad disc? Picture quality on "Memento" is all messed up... (1 Viewer)

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I've been looking to pick up the special two disc DTS edition of Memento for a long time now. I have the single DD disc, and have read how much better the transfer is on the two disc version. So when I saw a copy for sale used at The Wherehouse I jumped at it.

Popped it into my player and was horrified at the result. The picture seemed oddly muted and dark, like there is a layer of dirt over it, and colors are off: people's faces are orange, and one scene set in a bathroom is completely green and washed out.

I thought my front projector had gone on the fritz, so I put my single disc version in to compare: the picture again looked normal, flesh tones normal, black level normal, etc.
I examined the two disc Memento and noticed a pattern of criss-crossed scratches along one side. It looks almost like someone took a needle and deliberately scratched up the disc before selling it to The Wherehouse. Needless to say, I'm going to try to take it back.

My question for all of you is: could scatches on the disc ruin the picture quality? Did I just get a bad disc? What could be responsible for this?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Think its a bad disc. My two disc set is just gorgeous. Now the two disc one is a good test to see if you have a red push problem, which might explain the orange faces, but not as extreme as you say.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
That's what I thought, Sean, thanks for the response. I don't think LCD front projectors suffer from red push, but I could be wrong. I'm going to try to take it back - I cant find the reciept, but I just got it yesterday and traded in a bunch of discs for it - they took my name and phone number, etc, so they must have a record of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks