Did I blow my SVS????

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by WaltB, Apr 11, 2005.

1. WaltB

WaltB Agent

Well, I was watching the Incredibles over the weekend and my sub (20-39 PC+) made a loud cracking noise...then nothing. [​IMG]. I've watched this movie before and haven't had any problems. The gain on my sub is just before 1/2, +3 on my receiver (HK AVR230) and the volume was at -34. I've only had this sub for 7 months. The power light is on too. I'm not sure what else to say that I really do miss the sub. It makes a huge difference and now I want it back..haha

I emailed tech support but I know it's still early. It's bothering me so I figured I would get someones opinion on here as to what they think is wrong with the sub.

Thanks!
    Walt

2. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully you did not destroy it. I don't have one but SVS subs seem to be pretty strong. It's Possible that a fuse or fuse's blew. Hopefully that it is. I had some blown on my SW900 as well. It was not a nice feeling.
    I hope it works out.

3. John S

John S Producer

Hmm interesting, your the second post on here, where Incredibles did in an SVS sub....

4. MikeDuke

That does have some silly bass to it. I guess the volume just needs to be turned down a bit when watching that film.

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

If the volume was at -34 did you calibrate your set-up with a sound meter and "0" to 75-85 dB?

6. John S

John S Producer

Hmm Mike.. I'd never settle for that...

I'd get a meaner sub....

7. MikeDuke

John S
    The problem was not that the sub was not mean enough. The problem was that I had a major brown out. I think that just took out some of them. Before that and since, it has been pretty strong.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    How about a GOOD surge suppressor to protect that nice gear?

9. MikeDuke

Yea I have Monster stuff but some how it got through [​IMG]
    I have the HTPS 7000 and avs 2000

10. WaltB

WaltB Agent

Yes, my system has been calibrated. I'm using this sub with the new Klipsch RVX-54's.

I don't feel I've abused this sub so I hope the warranty is valid. I'm not bashing SVS because I also own a PCU but I really wish there was someone I could call and talk too. I talked to one of the rep's and they told me to email tech support so I guess the waiting game starts... From what I've read on here they always do the right thing so we'll see.

11. John S

John S Producer

Mike, I was only posting that answer is reference to the turn the volume down a little bit comment.

If that were really the case, I'd buy a meaner sub. You should be able to run as hot as you want and not risk failure period.

12. MikeDuke

Got you.
    Sorry for the confusion. Yes, you should be able to crank it up and feel comfortable about doing it. FWIW I have my sub calibrated to 78dB and can hit 105-110(radio shack) with little effort. That is enough for my room.
    Thanks for the clarification though.

13. Carl P

Carl P Extra

Just wanted to chime in about SVS's cust support. You have ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about. Their support is incredible, thier customers are gold to them and they always do the right thing.[​IMG] I'm actually surprised that you had to wait for an e-mail back. They are extremely quick with their responses. If it has been more than a couple of hours, they may not have gotten yours. You can always call their office.

14. John S

John S Producer

Yep, I'd be on the phone with somebody already today.

We did have a blizzard here in Colorado, it may be delaying response some. So take that into consideration.

Many many mnay people did not make in to where I work today up in Denver. Colorado Springs got it a little worse even from what I understand.

15. WaltB

WaltB Agent

I did call and talked to Eric but he told me to email tech support. I emailed them yesterday and added some info to the email and sent it again this morning. I'll wait until tomorrow before bugging them again. Thanks for your responses, I feel better.

16. John S

John S Producer

This blizzard was something else.. An odd one even as far as blizzards go around here.

Like all the main roads are just wet, all the "side" streets nearly impassable.. Just an odd one really.

I do suspect this has delayed their response some is all.

17. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Walt, is your sub calibrated 15 dbs hot? I can't imagine blowing the SVS at -34 on your volume dial. I also have an HK 230, and have my 25-31 pc+ set a little under half way on the gain and run it around -6 set in the HK. I watched the Incredibles with the volume around -5 and had no problems.

18. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

John, I know you're doing your part to try to chip away at SVS [​IMG] but the PC+ is already "meaner" than most. SVS subs don't protest much when pushed to the extreme. Lesser subs with extensive limiters would merely whimper and save themselves.

Walt, have you managed to contact anyone yet? It sounds like the driver may have just bottomed-out too forcefully. Might just be a simple driver replacement.

19. WaltB

WaltB Agent

Tom and Jim emailed me this afternoon and they were both very helpful. A new driver is on the way. They offered to repalce it for me if I wanted to send it back or I could replace it with the instructions they provided. I'm very happy with the service I've received. I hope to be up and running later this week.

Thanks for everyone's input.

20. John S

John S Producer

VinHT, I actually was sticking up for SVS....

The meaner sub comment, was a general comment.
    But supported at least in part by recent responses from SVS reps themselves on these forums.

And yes, this is the second post, both recently where that movie has blown an SVS sub.