What's new

Did I blow my speaker? (1 Viewer)

Charbel

Agent
I just got my new (used) amp and hooked it up to my 2 front speakers. Using my receiver as the preamp I was listening for about 10 minutes and then noticed my left speaker does`nt work. Could I have blew it out? If that were the case would`nt some parts of the speaker work? like the tweeter if the woofer burnt out? or the other way around? Now there is just silence from the left speaker. I switched cables to the right speaker and the receiver and amp seem to work. thanks, CI

Charbel

Agent
I forgot to add is there a "reset" button or fuse I can replace( i doubt it) on my speaker?

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Quite possibly you blew the works, but if nothing is working, then it's also possible that a solder has broken at the crossover, that happened to me. You'll have to pull the speakers out to determine this (You could post in the Advanced DYI section with the make and model and see if anyone chimes in). Or, take a visit to your local speaker repair guru. Or, if they're under warranty, get them replaced.
Good Luck
Gordo

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
WHAT KIND OF SPEAKER?
I had this happen also, but the speakers actually did have a fuse on them. When replaced, everything was fine. There was a screw in type fuse holder on the back of the speaker, and it was pretty obvious. If you don't see a fuse, then your chances of having one are slim.
High possibility of the internal passive crossover has taken some damage.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on August 06, 2001 at 02:31 PM]

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
First off wire your other speaker into that side and see if it works. This eliminates a receiver problem.
I had a capacitor blow in a crossover, it looked like a firecracker that was blown up. Crossovers can be repaired so it is worth the time to take it out and check.
It is unlikely that the tweeter and woofers would blow without still hissing/buzzing/crackling so check the receiver then the crossover and I am sure you can get them up and running.
------------------
The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

Charbel

Agent
It`s a Paradigm Studio 40 speaker. And a Parasound Hca 2205 amp. I did`nt think I was putting it too loud, but I guess I did. I still have a warranty on the speakers but I`m unsure they`re covered if I messed them up in this manner.
I tried changing all the speakers around and I get nothing. I checked the receiver`s controls, and even went through the different DSP`s "all channel" etc... and that is the only speaker that`s not working. I`ll call my dealer and start the LONG journey to this fix.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
did you check the gain controls on the back of the parasound? it's pretty easy to knock one of them down when installing the speaker cables, etc on the back. i did that very same thing when hooking up my 1500, and wondered why my left speaker wasn't playing as loud as the right. just make sure they're all rotated fully on.

Charbel

Agent
Yes Robert, I checked EVERYTHING. Thanks anyway, sometimes it`s right under your nose and you never know it. I did eventually go to my dealer and after looking at it he sent it out to Paradigm. Now all I have to do is WAIT A COUPLE OF WEEKS!!!! with no left speaker. DAMN. They said they would tell me what was wrong with it. I`m curious now.
So now I have a new used 5 channel amp and no left speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks