Did I blow my center channel speaker?

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I had a major scare last night. When I put in a DVD that was in mono and listened to it in PLII mode (where the sound would come out of the center speaker only), I noticed the volume was very low and the sound sounded thin and distant. No matter how much I cranked the center channel volume, it sounded very low. However, I didn't notice any rattling or hissing. Also, I wasn't cranking the receiver any louder than normal before the supposed blowout. I then recut fresh speaker wire on both ends (to the receiver and to the speaker) and reconnected the speaker. The speaker now works just as well as it used to.

So is it really that simple? Was this just a problem of a kinked speaker wire or a somehow stripped or stressed wire? I'd be surprised as I haven't touched any of the wires in any way (nudged them, pulled them, twisted them, etc). The only thing I can think of is there may have been some stress on the wires to the speaker because the speaker is high atop the tv and the wires hang down and pull slightly on the speaker connection terminals. Are the copper strands in speaker wires really that sensitive?

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Mike, I re-checked and re-seated both ends of the old speaker wire. In fact, I didn't add an entirely new speaker wire, but just reseated the old speaker wire with a new strand of the copper wire. What I think happened is one of the strands of copper wire must have been frayed or touching another connection terminal or something. I guess this is why people use banana plugs, so they have a clean connection?

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Mike, I re-checked and re-seated both ends of the old speaker wire. In fact, I didn't add an entirely new speaker wire, but just reseated the old speaker wire with a new strand of the copper wire. What I think happened is one of the strands of copper wire must have been frayed or touching another connection terminal or something. I guess this is why people use banana plugs, so they have a clean connection?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Monoraul tracks have a tendacy to have a very low output level. Is the movie very old?

Try playing another, newer, dvd with 5.1 and see what happens.

Mike Frezon

Premium
There's a whole ton of people here who know a lot more about speakers and connections then me, Stephen...

But, my guess would be your situation was connection-related (if there was enough strain...or maybe you have a cat...
) and you simply cleaned it up good as new.

Stephen Gladwin

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I think so too Mike (or let me rephrase: I HOPE TO GOD YOU'RE RIGHT!). I just checked the sound again when I got home from work and it sounds great again. I did some searching on some older posts here and it seems that most people who go the bare wire method cut fresh copper wire a few times a year to keep the connections fresh to prevent just the thing that I think happened to me (that is, a strand or two of the copper wire coming loose).

Anyone else want to confirm this? Thanks again!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els