What's new

Did downloads kill the video star? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Since I started to download albums, both "illegally" and "legally", I have discovered many albums by artists I now consider to be some of my favorites (Opeth, Diablo, Amorphis to name a few), and I have no clue what their album art, stage shows, or even band members look like.

I haven't watched a music video in ages, it's easier to buy the albums online, and radio doesn't play most of those bands at all. I feel almost "purified" in my listening, it's all about the music.

Is it the same for you guys? Is this changing the music market?

I would think that this is opening doors for different artists, that might not have had distribution or marketing behind them enough to make it otherwise. I know this was one of the promising aspects of the Internet music revolutions, but now it actually seems to happen. Pretty cool, and encouraging!

/Mike

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While I can't condone illegal downloads, it would be nice to go back to the days when it was the music that mattered, not the image, not the video. As a kid I spent hours a day between a pair of headphones, where I could use my own imagination while exploring the soundscapes. Now, everyone seems to want it all packaged. No wonder there is little value in music anymore, at least modern music.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Every time I browse a record store it seems like only babes can record these days. Janis Joplin would be shit out of luck today unless she hired a body double.

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
You're right Grant B. It seems like looks mean as much or more than talent does these days. Remember Christopher Cross? I wonder if he would even get a chance today? Of course, he was smart enough to not put his picture anywhere on his debut album!

TedT

Second Unit
No. MTV hasn't been playing videos for over 10 years. Even back in the days when Beavis & Butthead were on, they only showed videos during that show. This was long before internet connections speeds were fast enough to download videos. Long before bands even had webpages.

MatS

Screenwriter
exactamundo video (MTV) killed the video star
when they severely limit or reduce the amount of videos they play what is the point of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on something that might not be seen (also consider just because you made a video there was no guarantee MTV would play it)

there are still some great regional music video programs that keep the spirit alive

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks