Did Direct TV finally "fix" ESPN?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Peake, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Normally, watching ESPN is painful. It is chock full of MPEG artifacts due to high compression.
    One of the most noticable areas for this is football turf. Regions of similar color on the grass or turf often show up as blocky regions....mpeg artifacts.
    Well, tonights late NFL game on ESPN looks fantastic. The field looks great, not any sign of MPEG artifacts. It looks very 3d, this is by far the best DirectTV sports presentation I have ever seen.
    Anyone have some inside info on this?? I heard a long time ago Direct TV was planning on launching some new satelites, did this happen recently?? Did they just decide to turn down the compression on ESPN, and compensate by compressing some other, less watched, channels????
    Jeff Peake

2. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

I noticed that too. The game tonight looked great on my 40" RPTV. There's definitely been an improvement. It was very noticeable.
    ------------------
    Stephen

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

No satellites have been launched yet.

4. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I use my DirecTV for the NFL Sunday Ticket. Last week I was comparing the DirecTV picture to my standard cable picture (using the same game of course!) I was very suprised to see that the picture on the Sunday Ticket looked much "cleaner" than that from the cable. I did another comparison from the other game being broadcast on CBS and it too looked better on the Sunday Ticket feed.
    Last year I cancelled my DirecTV system after the NFL season ended. The picture from it was worse than the picture from my basic, non-digital cable! I was so shocked by my perception I had my wife and several friends doing "blind" A/B tests comparing cable vs DirecTV. ALL of them ended up voting for cable! This was not limited to football games either. I did comparisons on channels including CNN, FoxNews, TLC, TDC, The Weather Channel, etc. Not once did anyone think the satellite picture was better. BTW, all of this was done on a ISF calibrated 50" RPTV.
    Has anyone noticed an improvement in the overall picture on DirecTV. With Comcast taking over my cable service, billing has become a nightmare and I may jump back to DirecTV!

5. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Somebody posted a NYTimes article indicating that after the new satellite is up and operating - early 2002 - the picture will improve.

6. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Any word on when we'll see more HDTV channels?
    Personally, I'd pay $200 a year or more for my NFL Sunday Ticket in HDTV.

7. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

You will never ever see Sunday Ticket in HDTV. They would need at least 2 more satellites alone to handle that kind of bandwidth. As it stands right now the only HD stuff is HBO, PPV, and the HDNet sports channel.
    Jeff