Did Consumers Reports Just Happen to Get it Right with the 34 XBR960?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Arthur S, May 27, 2005.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Virtually everyone on this forum says Consumer Reports has no idea how to test TV's. Yet they found the Sony 34XBR960 tops. Quite a few knowledgeable people also find this the best consumer CRT available. Was that just a fluke? Was it because Sony calibrates the 960 at the factory and not because of anything intrinsic to the set itself? Are we to ignore their top ratings of 10 other Sony sets?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Sony XBR 960 is a nice set out of the box ... the grayscale is actually not bad and reasonably close.

It's their flagship set ... and it would be be surprising to hear they spend a little more time on it in the line ...

regards

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have read Consumer's Reports TV/display reviews for the past 10 years or so. I definitely fall into the minority who think that they *do* know what they are doing. [​IMG]

I don't think they know squat about DVD players, receivers, and speakers, but for some reason, their TV/display reviews generally echo what I see here, AVS, and professional magazine reviews.

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Who's doing the reviews for CR these days? For several years much of their TV reviews were done by a couple real Pro's who were members/admin of the old Compuserve Home Theater board which in the early 90's was the place to be for all things HT. That board spawned many of members of this board after most things started migrating to the WWW. I know RAF was there, Robert George was there and even Delphi boards before that, and I want to think at least one of the owners here used to post there. Marc Wielege I think was on of CR's big TV guys for years. Marc was a big time Telecine in Hollywood at the time and was one of Kane's biggest supporters to get Color Temps and TV calibration to produce the correct colors.

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys!!

I spent a day at CR a few months ago when I calibrated a Sony 34XBR910 for them. They are extremely knowledgable when it comes to video and have an extensive video testing division.

The Sony 910 and now 960 tubes are the tubes by which all other consumer TVs are compared to. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Regards

Gregg

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Thanks Gregg!

Your post certainly puts a radically different light on the professionalism of the TV testers at Consumer Reports. Their video testers actually know what they are doing.

Gregg

Did you find out anything about how they test plasma, LCD, microdisplay projectors, and CRT RPTVs? Is it your sense that their ratings of those types of TVs are valid as well as their direct view CRTs?

TIA

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi

They did have a slew of plasmas in a room but we didnt
    discuss them.

Generally, I would rate what they have to say quite heavily if buying any display technology.

Regards

Gregg

8. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I have both Gregg and Jack Briggs to thank for finally "pushing me over the edge" and knocking me off the fence towards the 960. They were the two final people, amongst many other sources whose judgements I highly value that finally just finished it for me. [​IMG]

AWESOME TV! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Glad to hear it, Eric!

10. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Now, If I'm really lucky, maybe when my 100 or so hours of useage have gone by, I'll be able to coordinate an ISF job with Gregg or one of his guys, if their traveling schedules permit. I re-read his thread and noticed that he actually travels around quite a bit. And far!

That would be great to go with people that I "know." [​IMG]