What's new

Did Columbia House have better quality control? (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ethan Riley said:
The worst episode on all of the dvds is, I think, Season One, Episode 16. The episode with William Daniels playing Heinrich Himmel is cut to shreds on the dvd, but intact on the Columbia House version.
Yes, either episodes 15 and 16 or 16 and 17 are syndicated versions on the DVD. I don't remember the numbers but I did remember that the Himmel episode was one of them.

DaveM4964

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Davey Meredith
I have The Monkees complete series on Vhs from Columbia House. I burned them to dvd-r and put the episodes back in proper order. I recently bought the series on dvd and it has some nice extras, but the Columbia House prints seem to be better quality.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
DaveM4964 said:
I have The Monkees complete series on Vhs from Columbia House. I burned them to dvd-r and put the episodes back in proper order. I recently bought the series on dvd and it has some nice extras, but the Columbia House prints seem to be better quality.
I can't remember - did any of the Columbia House MONKEES episodes feature alternate versions with different (rebroadcast) songs?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
DeWilson said:
I can't remember - did any of the Columbia House MONKEES episodes feature alternate versions with different (rebroadcast) songs?
I will have to look ito this. I have always assumed the CH videos were the same as Rhino as far as sources/versions. This is a special case since the video rights are controlled by Rhino and the TV righjts by Sony. Rhino had limited access to materials for the show as I understand it. I have a couple of the CH videos from some garage sale or something, I'll have to look at them!
I can tell you that the 1986-87 Columbia home video VHS releases had some interesting stuff in them. Sponsor logos in the closings and the original Screen Gems logos. I don't know of any musical surprises though.

Real Name
Matthew Burdette
The First Columbia House VHS release of the Star Trek: The Next Generation Pilot "Encounter at Farpoint" was the EDITED 2-part version that aired in repeats while later releases (Including the DVD release) has the episode in its original two hour cut that was on the Paramount Home Video release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks