Did Cheers S1 and Frasier S1 Sell Well Enough To Expect Season 2?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Skoobooz, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    As I am not clear on what qualifies as a "success" for TV on DVD, I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not Cheers: Season One and Frasier: Season One sold well enough to convince Paramount to release both the shows' second seasons. Or if anyone knows anything about Paramount's plans in that regard. Thanks!

2. Robin Warren

Robin Warren Second Unit

I hope so, I bought and love my Cheers Season One set and am dying to get them all on my shelf....

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Even though the Cheers set really didn't have any "worth while" extras, I'd definitely be buying all the sets if they release them.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

We're in the process of completing Frasier season 1. I am reminded of how much I loved the show. I can't wait to get season 2 of both series.

5. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I do know that in April, David Lee (director, co-creator) and Joe Keenan (writer) recorded a commentary track for the season 2 Frasier episode "The Matchmaker."

6. Roger Metcalf

Roger Metcalf Auditioning

I'm a Retail Manager for Cheers in Boston, and I believe the word from Paramount is that Season 2 of Cheers will be released on DVD sometime near October/November.

RM

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Ah...a month later, but essentially the same discussion! [​IMG]

Wait until early Sept., and Paramount will let us know what their November releases are. I fully expect Cheers S2 and Frasier S2 to be among them.

Keep in mind that I know nothing, and this is just my opinion. Readers of the thread about the Psycho sequels will understand what I'm saying here.

But if I'm a betting man, I bet Novemember.

8. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

I still haven't heard a thing about the second season of these shows. Anyone know anything? And any chance of speeding up the release schedule? It'll take 5 years to release the series at this schedule.

9. David Lambert

It doesn't seem like it will be this year for the S2's of these shows. If they were, I think it would have been known by now, since Dec. releases like South Park S3 and JKX S1 are well-known. I'll look for them in 2004.

10. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

They didn't make the November schedule.

My guess, and it's just that, is we'll see them in Jan/Feb. 2004.

-Scott

11. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

I just don't see what the reason is for delays on these two shows, unless they sold under expectations. The first season of Cheers had very few extra features and one would think future season would be similar. If a show like Friends (which is still being made) can be released every 3-4 months, why can't a old classic like Cheers keep the same schedule.

And I do hope this has nothing to do with sales, because if so, I fear this could become a growing and disturbing trend of studios regarding TV on DVD.

12. David Lambert

Sales were fine, by all accounts. Paramount's got a lot of other releases hitting, not the least of which is some guy with a hat. I'm only speculating, but they probably made a business decision to concentrate on that (and Spongebob, and Shogun, and any specialness for Ft13 films that is supposedly gonna be announced today, and South Park S3 since they now own that, and Lucy S1 set now that they can be collected, and Jamie Kennedy Experiment, and gobs and gobs of cool films that aren't collected in box sets).

I have zero doubt that we'll get S2 of each of these, and probably sooner than later. Just wait for it. I understand how and why folks get nervous when they hear nothing, but this isn't a "Larry Sanders" or "Mary Tyler Moore" situation at all, at least to my understanding.

13. David Lambert

I don't have confirmation from Paramount, but I'm starting to hear a Jan. 6th date for both Cheers S2 and Frasier S2.

Cover art for both is at TVShowsOnDVD; sorry but I can't link to the graphics here (bandwidth costs). But drop by if you want to take a gander at them - both cover art and inside-the-digipak art (including disc art, although it's hard to see the discs on Cheers S2 because the shot is angeled).

14. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

Great news, David. Thanks as always! [​IMG]

15. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

16. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

17. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Die Another Day was a phrase long before it was the title of a Bond movie.

18. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

19. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor