What's new

Did anyone see the story on white van speakers on Fox News in Philly last night? (1 Viewer)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I've been approached a few times as well. I think that the few articles I have seen about these type guys is that they usally are 100% legit as far as business licenses, paying sales tax etc. There is really nothing that says they can't set the MSRP at $1200 even if they have a walkman style headphone transducer mounted in a big box. They definitely do rely on customers who think they are getting over somehow by getting either stolen or production overruns at a very low cost. I agree I can't see how womeone can really complain about not getting the high quality stolen goods they were expecting. I guess this whole thing goes uhder the category of "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is"

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, the MSRP *IS* $1200, they have a phony website up: Link Removed The speakers look like SHIT and if you try and buy them online,it creates a fake error.

EvanB

Stunt Coordinator
As far as Paragon goes, it is actually called Paragon acoustics and it is run out of Minneapolis, MN. I will not give out the name of the owner, but my friend has a pair of Jubilee speakers that be bought from the makers and they are unreal speakers. If you can find them i would highly recommend picking some up...

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I answered an ad for employment and it turned out to be these guys. The ad said 'PHAT CASH, ELECTRONICS SALES'. I went to the office late the first night to scope it out before I actually 'applied' and there were 2 stoned teenagers playing ping-pong surrounded by PILES of '3301 Acoustic' speaker boxes.

I asked a couple of questions and they weren't to yappy, but they said I should come back in the AM and chat with the boss.

So I did. Some greaseball loaded with gold jewelry and a thick NJ accent gave me this - "We are a high end home theater sales and installation organization" like he was reading a que-card. Same crap he said over the phone...I knew it was bullshit, but I didn't know what they really did yet, either, and I was curious. S, I asked if I could tag along and watch the crew for a couple of hours to decide if this was the biz for me.

All of a sudden, about 8 minivans (4 of them white) buzzed into the loading dock there was the crew. Half of them were full-timers from Jersey - Gold watches, phat gold necklaces, ball caps, the works. The rest looked like they were up all night smoking crack.

I got in one of the vans along with 2 other guys. These 2 were actually a little educated, cleaner than the rest, obviously in it for the money but probably had a future too.

First stop - Perkins. Breakfast on them.

They actually tried to hook up the waitress with a pair of speakers! So I chimed in - "Yeah, we'll even hook them up for you! We INSTALL!!"

Horrified looks at the table...

Anyway, they knew I was pissed about this. I was lied too, but I was curious and had a fun morning screwing with them. As they dropped me off at my car, the boss ran out and asked Dude why I was driving away. The look on Dudes face leads me to believe he actually has a conscious as he explained that I needed a solid family-income type job and all that.

But he'd still sell you speakers...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Good point, Ric. When I lived in Jersey, I dressed like that to fit in. However, I dropped it when I moved to Delaware. ;)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I had these same guys come up to me in Philly on Market Street where I work about a month ago.

Their sell line was "Yo money, we got some leftover speakers here for sale"

I took one look at the brand, Definitive Labs, and said no thank you, I am not interested in that crap. The guy got indignant and just drove off. Talk about rip-offs.

J

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
My name is Mike.....and I own a pair of "white van speakers."
I think they need to start a 12 step program for all the people getting scammed by these guys ;)
Here's my story: someone at work bought a pair of Denmark speakers and found out about the scam and obviously felt ripped off. Put them in the "want ads" at work for around $800 I think (I'm guessing that's what he paid for them). I read all the on-line stuff about the scam so I was a little more informed going in. I got to bring them home for the weekend to audition. Took them apart and checked everything out and they looked pretty solid and had some little cross-overs and even had baffling inside. They actually sounded pretty good; nice highs, decent mids, and solid bass with dual 8's. Pushed them hard with my 3802 and NO distortion at VERY loud levels. Ended up offering him $150 since I felt they were worth that much. About a week later he accepted my offer. I have seen the Dynalabs and these look 100% better.
Not GREAT speakers, but for the money they sound/look very nice. Used them for rear surrounds for a few weeks before moving them to the garage.
Kinda funny if you read the reviews at audioreview.com 99% of the people buying them NEVER even give them a listen (mine were in un-opened boxes). Although for the $600-$800 most people get pressured into paying I can't blame them.
IMHO the Denmarks are decent speakers for $100-$200, but obviously for $800+ you can get MUCH better.
BTW.....I don't live down by the river, am NOT a motivational speaker, BUT.....I do drive a van....'99 green Grand Voyager!
Happy listening...Mike

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
This topic is hilarious! It happened to me one time driving to Disneyland. I'm stopped at a red light and a dude in a white van (really, I white van) asked me if I wanted some good speakers. Of course I said "no". Then the light turned green and I drove off. Funny thing is I saw the guy asking other people around the street.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
yep happened to me a while ago, in the philly area :) lucky for me I had no money, cuz me being the impulse buyer I am, I would have bought them. I remember telling the guy I only had a credit card and he just wanted cash.. lucky too cuz he prolly woulda charged a bunch of stuff to me :)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify to all our Jersey bretheren, I don't generalize...They had Jersey plates on at least one of the vans, the boss WAS covered in gaudy gold jewelry, spoke with an "East coast" accent and he was 'greasy looking'.

No offense...

We have greaseballs here in MN too, 'cept they say "You Betcha" insteada "Ow you Dooin'".

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Never heard of this happening in North Dakota, but it does remind me of that skit on Mr. Show. Where one of the guys comes up to Bob and David and asks if they're looking for some speakers. They say they do and they go with him (in a white van) to a circuit city type shop and he buys speakers there for them. Then it goes on and gets really ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks