Did anyone notice this? Re: the 'PEARL HARBOR Vista Series' dvd.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Did anyone else notice that the DTS track on the new Pearl Harbor Vista Series dvd sound a little better than the DTS track on the 60th Commemorative edition?
    I can't place it, but I heard some sounds and music that I never really noticed on the 60th edition, and i've sampled the 60th edition many times so i'm very familliar with how it sounds. The low end seems the same, but I know the film sounds different. It's improved IMO. Not that anything was wrong with the 60th edition in the first place.
    Did Michael Bay do anything with the audio when he cut these new scenes back into the film?

2. Christopher a

Christopher a Stunt Coordinator

Have only listened to the commentary track so far so I can't comment...though the video quality is much improved on the Director's Cut.

Chris

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

The only thing that i had noticed about the audio quality between the two edition is that the center channel is lower in volume in P.H.D.C,other channels' audio level seems to be have been boosted up...Which reminds of of CTHV SUPERBIT titles...

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It's possible that the DC's sound was remixed since scenes had to be added back in.

For newer films, the DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 tracks are simply downconverted from the full bit-rate tracks used in theaters.

5. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I noticed that the music score was more pronounced on the Director's Cut. It seemed a bit subdued on the 1st release.

-Dean-

6. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

The Diector Cut is certainly a big improvement over the
    60th Commemarative Edition in terms of video & audio,
    especially Faith Hill's music video. I found that the DD 5.1
    is more pronouced in the surrounds but I have yet to play
    the DTS track version.

7. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

what's the differences between the video ? did they remove the ringing ?

8. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

This is what I noticed on my particular setup (I know everyone will have different sound according to which receiver you have):

DTS 5.1 - Music is EXTREMELY nice and loud. Very clear, and easy to hear the depth and range. Nice deep bass, and extremely clear mids and highs. During the attack scene, hardly any bass what-so-ever. The sub will hardly ever kick in. The planes all sound nice and clear from mids to highs, but there is no bass!

Dolby Digital 5.1 - Music is very low in volume, and does not have the same impact as it does in DTS. The range of the music is very limited. However, during the attack sequence, the mids and highs sound very clear, AND there is actually bass. Although, it's not the kind of bass that you'd expect out of a war movie with tons of bombs and torpedos blowing things up, it's still there (more so, than in the DTS track).

In video quality, I've heard that on this release they have completely removed all signs of edge enhancement, but I couldn't tell, because my TV is too small to see the improvement of video quality.

*Edit* Corrected some spelling errors.

9. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Well I have finished the DTS 5.1 version of Pearl Habor
    and totally agree with Mitch here. Though the DTS version
    is more clear in the mids & highs but the bass is lacking.
    The attacking sequence's bass output is not as strong as
    the DD 5.1. I can really feel my sub's being tested.But the
    video quality is top notch.[​IMG]

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Strange, I thought that the low end on the DTS track sounded pretty much like the 60th edition.

I agree that the video quality is greater on the Directors cut. It's just smoother, and generally more pleasing to the eye than the 60th edition. I also like that they made the sub titles a little bigger too, they were too hard to read on the other one.

11. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Maybe its me or my ears, but last night I tried both the DTS and DD tracks on Pearl Harbor: Vista Series and I found the DTS to still be the most preferred. I know my setup is correct and the disc is not defective. I found the DD track to be lacking, even at higher volumes. I found the bass in this track to be very lacking and almost nonexistent, while the DTS is very active and powerful, with smooth transitions during the attack scenes. I use a particular scene during the film to compare the two. It is at around 1:20:00 or so, before the attack. There is a scene, a Special F/X scene, where they show the island from a distance and one by one, the Japanese Zeros fly overhead to Pearl Harbor until there are hundreds approaching the island. A very grand shot that was well done. Anyways, about the audio, on the DD track when the planes in this scene pass by one by one, it is hard to distinguish which direction each one is coming from, with directional effects lacking, and hardly any bass. However, in the DTS track it is much more powerful. The rear surrounds provide excellant directional effects, as the planes come from different directions and the bass is incredible, especially as the planes fly across the screen, you can literally feel the hum of the engines as they pass over, while in the DD track, it is very weak. I only tried this and some portions of the attack scene, but overall, I feel the DTS to be a much better track overall. I could not really find anything in the DD track that was better than the DTS, whether it be dialogue or music or sound effects. It is just not a good DD mix, especially with a track as active as this movie. Also, I feel this DTS track to be an improvement over the previous one on the 60th Aniv. Comm. edition. It is much tighter and more detailed, and the new shots in the film blend seamlessly into the film, making this one of the best of the DTS tracks available. Just my opinion.