Did anyone here watch Chevy Chase's talk show?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Jan 27, 2003.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

This show is legendary for being so bad, and it was mentioned in the Jimmy Kimmel thread here today.

I've never seen it though. What was so bad? How long was it on the air? Are there any clips online somewhere?

2. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i was never a Chevy Chase fan, but i watched it once because Robert De Niro was on (i think) hyping his tv series Tribeca, which he produced. since he rarely does talk shows, i thought i'd watch it. anyways, Chase really didn't have much knack for talk shows; he didn't even have the energy of Joan Rivers who was really bad in her own way. Chase didn't seem all that excited about what he was doing.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I vaguely recall the first episode. He had Goldie Hawn on and they chatted about something they did together way in the past. It wasn't much of an interview, it was just more watching two people chat and catching up with each other and they didn't do a good job of filling you in. I'm not even sure if he ever really asked her any questions.

4. Thomas D

Thomas D Stunt Coordinator

I knew the show was going to suck two minutes into the first episode. Chevy comes out and tries to make a basket and misses. Someone throws him the ball and he shoots again. Cut to a previously-recorded close-up of a basketball going in the net. Cut back to Chevy reacting to him missing the hoop a second time.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I made it part of the way through the first episode. It was painful to watch something so hyped arrive D.O.A. He had no material, no idea of how to conduct an interview, no rapport with the audience. He looked like he'd never acted in his life. Sad and truly shocking from the guy who was the star of SNL's first season.

6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

Yep, Chevy appeared totally unprepared, disinterested and detached, like he just walked off the street or was shoved into the studio. Although Magic Johnson's talk show was also bad, at least he tried and put a little effort into it.

7. Chucky P

Chucky P Supporting Actor

Charles Paulsen
    I thought it was on for at least a month.

8. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Didn't they rename the theater to "The Chevy Chase Theather" on the first show? I seem to remember some old guy proclaiming that it would forever be knows as "The Chevy Chase Theater". I believe it was originally the "Ed Sullivan" theater.

Boy, what a screw up that was! :b

Moe.

9. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Unless there's two (and hell, there might be), "The Ed Sullivan Theater" is in New York. It's where Letterman's show is produced.

10. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I knew it would be bad when he started doing a "Weekend Update" routine on his show. When he has to go back to that for laughs, you know he's getting doesn't have any ideas.

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, Dennis Miller's syndicated talk show also had a "Weekend Update"-ish segment by the end.

I'm not sure why Chevy hasn't wound up in a sitcom yet, though. While his talk show was a disaster, a sitcom seems like something that would really suit him.

12. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

It's funny that The Griswolds wasn't proposed and snapped up. Chevy's obviously too old now to pull that one off, though.

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

True enough.

Still, you have to wonder why Chevy isn't getting the call every time some 20-something character on TV needs a weird father. Is he just not willing to play "dad-of-grown-children" roles yet?

14. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>>When he has to go back to that for laughs, you know he's getting doesn't have any ideas.
    >>>>

I have the first show on tape, and even THAT bit wasn't really that funny. The only part that was even remotley entertaining was the weird face singing bit, and the semi-cute 'birthday cake' bit.

Although, I will admit I thought the design of the set was rather neat.

Getting back to Vacation movies as mentioned in another post, that reminds me of something. Anyone know why his kids kept on changing each movie?

15. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor