What's new

Did anyone have a Commodore VIC20? (1 Viewer)

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Remember those things? I think I had every text-based adventure game there was.

Those cream-colored with brown striping carts to plug into the rear of the machine? I remember trying to type in the programs found in magazines only to receive numerous "syntax errors" when I was done. So I gave up. I think I even had the clunky old disk drive.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
My brother had one. I remember typing code in for 2 or 3 hours to get a line to move across the screen (or something like that).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I was an Atari man myself. Loved my 800XL; couldn't understand why people ever bought a Commodore.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I had an Atari 400 and an IBM PCjr. My parents just couldn't buy anything good. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I was an Atari man myself. Loved my 800XL; couldn't understand why people ever bought a Commodore.
Because they (were) our hometown team! Wanted some advice on how to do somthing neat with it? We could just drive 20min to their heaquarters (where I played the all but unreleased Commodore Amiga32 game system)

I loved my C64. too bad I have to swap out the board every 6 months because the parts are so old fuses keep blowing ;(

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I remember typing code in for 2 or 3 hours to get a line to move across the screen (or something like that).
lol; Yeah, those were the days. The days of "piks and pokes"

I must have had a hundred 5 1/4" disks. Each with 1-5 C64 games on them. I wrapped them up in saran wrap for storage, and my fiance' (at the time) shit-canned them cause she didn't 'want me going off and ignoring her.'

Shoot, I didn't even get a chance to ignore her. That was a great loss. Some of those games I know I'll never get to play again.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I also had a VIC 20 with a cassette tape drive. It was our first computer too. I used to write 'choose your own adventure' programs in BASIC and save them onto cassette.

I was also one of those crazy AMIGA owners (had an amiga 500). This is back before SVGA or any of that stuff. I remember Psygnosis had several titles out for it (anyone remember the shooter 'Blood Money?' When the games opens a menacing voice says "A DMA Design Game!" That wasn't BrianB was it (oh wait it was 1986)?

-joseph

JoshF

Supporting Actor
The Vic-20 was my first computer as well. Had the tape drive for it and had it hooked up to a 13" color TV. Used to type programs out from the back of Compute! magazine and then spend a couple days rooting out the errors in the massive DATA lines.

I played the original text-based "Adventure" game for it. Chiggers! Ewww!

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I had a Vic 20 and didn't get into it much. But the C64, I can still see "Summer Games" like it was yesterday. I still don't think I've played any Baseball game as much as the original Hardball on C64 either. (Okay maybe the atari computer one)

I also was an Amiga nut. I had a 500 with the hard drive kit. I ran a bbs and traded warez like crazy on that thing. I still have an Amiga emulator, WINUAE, all set up on my pc that emulates an Amiga perfectly. I only tried a few games but I bet most would run. It even emulates the newer AGA Amiga video chipsets.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Anybody remember the computer language LOGO? (Turtle Graphics) for the apple? That's what I learned even before B eginner's A ll P urpose S ymbolic I nstructional C ode.
FD20
RT90
FD40
PU
PD
I guess my ten year reunion two weeks ago has really made me reminicse!

Jason_H

Second Unit
I got my C64 as my first ever computer when I was six years old in 1984 (maybe it was 1985). I played so many games on it over the next eight years that I used to wear my hands raw from those crappy joysticks it used. Impossible Mission, Raid Over Moscow, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Defender of the Crown, all of the Epyx games, Elite...I remember them all like it was yesterday. *sigh* Why the HELL did I ever get rid of that thing?

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I can remember playing the original Wolfenstein game, before it went to 3D, on either a Vic or a Commadore, don't remember which.
Anyone remember Pet computers? And writing string code?
If X=20 then Y=17 - that kind of thing?

It used to be a lot of fun to write my own adventure games. I wish there was an easy program to learn to do that on today's PCs ...

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Oh! I had this system.... first "game" I played, was Facemaker... hehe. Then my parents got the PCjr. Finally, a PS/2. I really have to hand it to my father, he managed to get every single computer that either had propiatry architecture, or was on it's way out.

Wow....

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I no longer have the tape drive but the machine (not my original, a thrift store machine) is right here on my desk in the original box. The game I remember best is Shamus, which I no longer have. Those one button two hand requiring joysticks sucked. And kids today think the NES is old school.

jeremy

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I had a VIC-20, then the C64, then the C128, the Amiga 500, and then a tricked-out Amiga 2000 with a 68030 card and 16 megs of RAM. Man, those were all great machines!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks