Did anyone get the robot that came with the original Nintendo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jun 27, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

My stepfather did when we first got the Nintendo way back in 1985 I believe. I don't remember using it much, and remember my stepfather put it in the back of a closet. All I really remember about it is that it really didn't work well. I think it was supposed to work with Gyromite and Wrecking Crew. I'm not sure, but I also think it was supposed to play against you if you didn't have any friends with ya. I remember hearing they took it off the market due to it not working and shorting out alot. If anyone can clarify this, thanks alot.

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Yessir! I definitely had the robot. I never used it too much with Gyromite, as it was slow, but I played with the spinner thingy quite a bit! [​IMG]

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Robotic Operating Buddy,
    Many hours were spent with you and the awfulest of the awful games, Gyromite, trying to figure out exactly what in the hell you were supposed to do.
    Rest in peace, dear old friend.
    [​IMG]
    -mwb-

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

ROB currently greets people as they come into my apartment.

I too played more with the top spinner than I did with ROB himself.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I didn't have it but my cousin did. I wish I had it now...cool thread!
    -Andre F

7. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I still have my R.O.B. boxed up at my parents house. I wanted that thing so bad and I never used it....it just wasn't fun...it was so damn slow. Your dude would be walking into the pipe waiting for ROB to open it up.

8. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

ROB... Dear, dear ROB. How I miss you so... [​IMG] That thing was beyond cool when it first came out.

9. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

When we were kids we bough the original Mega Nintendo set that came with ROB, the Nintendo, 2 games (Duck Hunt and Gyromite) and the light gun (the gray one, not the flourescent orange one that came out later on). We used ROB for about 10 minutes before we realized he was pretty useless.
    The basic set up was this:
    You would put ROB in front of the TV with his eyes pointing at the screen (he used the same technology that the light gun used). You would command him to pick up tops, put them on a motor that would get them spinning, and then put them on 2 large buttons that would control stuff on the screen. You controlled Rob by pressing Start or Select (I forget which) on your game pad and then a joystick direction or A/B button. It was painfully slow and many times the tops would stop spinning and fall off of the button before you had a chance to accomplish the task.
    We had him for years but my mom got rid of the whole set up after I moved out. I miss him now [​IMG]

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

11. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Good to see others have good memories with the original Nintendo. I spent countless hours playing this system. I miss having it dearly. Game systems of today can't compare to the enjoyability of old systems such as the Ataris, Intellevision, Nintendo, and Sega, at least in my opinion.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Since I set my NES back up a month ago, I was playing Duck Hunt not that long ago with my Gray Death-by-Light Stick. Fun game...now if I could only find the Track and Field pad...

13. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I believe the Power Pad can still be ordered from the Nintendo web site. I borrowed ROB from somebody in school and it sucked. I tried Gyromite with him and he was so slow, but it was a two player only game but then I realized that you could but the controller harness (with the large arms on which the spinners go, to hold down a button) on the controller and work them with your feet, making it a one player, two controller game.

jeremy

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Man, memories are flooding back in. I'm going to go digging in the closet and pull out the old Power Glove.
    I remember when I was in my younger years I would put that glove on...MAN! The Terminator stepped outta my way back then. I was the UBER-nator with that thing on. I dont know why but I always thought it was one of the coolest accessories ever.
    *Runs to the closet to find his "Sampson" like source of power*

15. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I remember the Max Turbo controller....that thing made all the games so easy. The advantage gamepad was fun too...though it was huge.

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If anyone has a power glove or 2, I'd love them for movie props
    The glove may have sucked for everything but punchout, but it looks so cool [​IMG]

17. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm not sure if I ever had a power glove, but I've used it before. Damn was it cool...

My next accessorie to buy is probably going to be a DDR pad...just add it on to the collection...

Anyone else also have the Arkanoid pad thingy? That thing was cool.

18. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I had the Arkanoid pad, but I/someone in the house lost it, or it was thrown out. I loved Arkanoid. My mom was awesome with it.

19. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer