Did anyone get "Popcorn"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Tyner, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

My copy of Popcorn is in the mail, but I just read a post on the forum at http://www.horrordvds.com that the DVD isn't presented at 1.85:1, nor is it in anamorphic widescreen at any ratio. The poster goes on to say that Kelly Jo Minter's full name is partially lopped off during the end credits, which makes this seem like it's pan-and-scan.
    Can anyone confirm? Also, how's the quality of the transfer? The poster at horrordvds.com seemed very disappointed with it.
    Thanks in advance!
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

2. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

I did receive my copy today and it is 1.85:1 and anamorphic. I just watched a couple of minutes but it looked good to me.

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Emil,
    Is the sound 5.1 as well??
    NO STORE in Las Vegas recived this DVD [​IMG]
    So, I will pick this up in Hollywood, when I'm there for the Sept meet [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Sounds like the reviewer had their player set to auto-pan-and-scan, which actually works on a few titles.
    I have the laserdisc which is adequate enough, haven't seen the DVD.

5. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

John,
    Work got in the way last night so I did not get a chance to watch the disc. I will watch it tonight and post a review. BTW I got this disc from DVD Empire.

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I have it on order, but I was worried when it wasn't a widescreen version, thanks for clearing it up, I am glad it is really a widescreen one. [​IMG] I can't wait until I can finally get this.

7. Marc Fusion

Marc Fusion Agent

The transfer is 1.85:1 and anamorphic, but the news is not all good. The image shows a lot of grain at times and in a darker flick like this, that can be very bad. I was never too let down by the transfer, since it is a low budget horror picture, but it should have been better. Aside from the grain, the print looks good though and colors/contrast seem in working order.

8. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Well after watching it last night, I will say overall it was okay. Yep, there is some scenes that had a lot of grain but considering the age and budget of this movie, I can live with it. The audio is 2.0 only. There are no real special features other than the trailer and several tv spots.

9. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Adam, Jesse is right on the mark. It was in fact a case of the player being preset to auto pan-and-scan mode. Some of us on that board mentioned that to the poster, he changed his settings, and voila!, anamorphic widescreen Popcorn. Just clearin' the air, and stickin' up for my Horrordvds.com posse. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Who made it?! The Shark!?!"
    Please sign this Hammer Films petition, thanks!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/Hammer/petition.html

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I heard the Trailer is very good, and was worried when I saw it might not be on the DVD...it just says Assorted trailers and TV spots. I thought that might mean it was trailers for other movies....(Like the CRUSH DVD)
    But I will be happy with this DVD when I finally get my hands on it...In OCTOBER!!! [​IMG]
    I shouldn't have ordered so many movies at once...especially when some don't come out until October 9th.