What's new

Did anyone find Peyton Place today? (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As with all the rest of the Fox Studio Classics line, Peyton Place was scheduled to come out on the first Tuesday of the month, in this case March 2, 2004!

I went to two different Tower Video stores, Virgin Mega Store, Fry's Electronics and Laser Blazer here in L.A. and none of them had it!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
absolutely none at Best Buy- and it was obvious they never had any on the shelf at all since that row was packed so tight.
Borders had a couple, but they were full list price.
the Warner titles that streeted today were also marked at full list.
looks like the discounts at B&Ms are mostly gone for good now.

BTW, BB did have about four copies of Pickup on South Street but it was tagged at $3 MORE than msrp!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's why I buy my catelogue titles on-line. I received my copy of Peyton Place on Friday.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I had it on pre-order for later delivery. Tried to find it locally. None at BB, CC, Wal-Mart, Meijer or Barnes & Noble. The BB had several copies of "The Ox-Bow Incident", a rather obscure title, but none of the much more famous "Peyton Place". I can't figure why BB thinks "The Ox-Bow Incident" has more sales potential than "Peyton Place". I decided not to wait & ordered it from Amazon for Friday delivery.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm beginning to suspect that it's not so much that stores aren't willing to stock it but more of a glitch in Fox's distribution system. Laser Blazer, for example, stocks EVERYTHING it can get its hands on Tuesdays.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The blueshirts at my BB indicated that they would not be stocking it at all. I don't usually trust anything that a blueshirt tells me, so I'll have to keep an eye open.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Best Buy is getting really bad about catalogue items. This one, Hamlet, Raw Deal to name a few.

My BB also has Pick Up for $33 (it wasn't a $40 MSRP, was it? I don't belive so).

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Ouch... 'The Ox-Bow Incident' didn't have a warm reception at the box office 60 years ago, but its fairly well known that this was due to the fact that movie goers where used to heroic westerns, and the timing of its release towards the end of WWII could not have been worse. Since then, 'The Ox-Bow Incident' has become a beloved classic and has as much of an audience, if not greater, than 'Peyton Place'.

As for sales, last time I saw figures from Adams Media Research, 'The Ox-Bow Incident' was one of the best selling Fox Studio Classics DVDs, only 'All About Eve', 'An Affair to Remember', 'The Day the Earth Stood Still', and 'My Darling Clementine' had more sales and the first three of those have all been available for nearly a year before 'Ox-Bow' was released. My guess is that BB is quite pleased with their 'Ox-Bow' sales and is continuing to promote it. It is odd though that they did not have any copies of 'Peyton Place'.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
A million apologies for my being so uniformed.

At least in my town BB seems to be taking a recent theatrical release Top 20 approach to stocking. Perhaps the BB corporate buyer for my region hates "Peyton Place". :D

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I ordered it from AMAZON, and they are not shipping
until next week, how did you others get it today ?????

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Borders in LA is the only place where I could find it.

Best Buy sucks when it comes to classic titles. The one closest to me, in Los Feliz, sometimes stocks only one copy of certain titles like SILK STOCKINGS.

Tower in Glendale didn't have it either.

I'm also having a hard time finding THE MARK OF ZORRO, unless I got the release date wrong. I thought it came out last Tuesday.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
'The Mark of Zorro' came out four months ago, so if you are shopping the B&M retailers it would propably pay to call ahead to see if they have a copy in stock.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Yup, same story here: my local Best Buy had two copies of THE OX-BOW INCIDENT but no copies of PEYTON PLACE. Fred Meyer, however, had three beautiful PEYTON PLACEs in stock. :D

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this over the weekend the transfer looked great and I forgot how beautiful Lana Turner looked in colour

Another job well done by 20th Century Fox in their classic series

Keep them coming! :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
yeah, i agree Shane.
apart from some minor EE (i've come to expect seeing it on Fox and Warner titles), the film looked wonderful.

boy, i had a real blast watching this.
i still have a grin on my face thinking about how nice a package Fox put together- and then the price they slapped on it.
this is a great time to be a vintage movie junkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks