1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Did anyone find Gigantic yesterday

Discussion in 'DVD' started by George See, Nov 19, 2003.

1. George See

George See Second Unit

I'm refering to "Gigantic A tale of Two Johns", for the 3 or 4 of you that have actually heard of it [​IMG] Did anyone find it in your local store yesterday? I looked all over and the closest I got was when Mediaplay told me they had none in the store but a bunch in their warehouse (that's a good sales stratagy). So if someone found it where did you find it and what do you think of it?

2. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I didn't see it at Best Buy, but I wasn't really looking for it. I plan on getting it from Netflix.

3. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

I got it last week direct from Bonfire Films. I hadn't had a chance to catch it in theaters, so I watched it for the first time on DVD.

I really enjoyed it (but I kinda knew I would-- I mean, it's about They Might Be Giants after all). The most stunning thing is the amount of bonus features on the disc. There are plenty of goodies there to keep you busy for a long time.

I haven't seen the disc in stores, but I'm really not surprised. It isn't a release that's going to sell millions of copies in the first week. Your best bet would surely be to order it online.

However, if I were looking for it in a store, I'd check Borders. They've done several instore performances in Borders lately-- promoting both the DVD and their new children's book. Borders was the only place I could find the Direct From Brooklyn DVD when it came out.

-Kelly

4. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I found one (the only one they had) at Barnes & Noble.

I love this movie, and the DVD is not disappointing at all. Well, they did cram all the extras on the same DVD as the movie, so there is some compression artifacting on the extras.

5. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I got it from Netflix earlier this afternoon and had a damn good time with it! Solid documentary, a bunch of great videos, an oddly entertaining commentary...and a whole lotta other stuff.

It's a must for TMBG fans! [​IMG]

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

A couple things to be on the lookout for those who are more film buffs than Giants fans...

The DVD inserts a screen at the end of the credits that spoofs the old Universal "When in California visit Universal Studios" tags.

There's also a hidden feature called "Flansy Stays in the Picture" which is a spoof of Robert Evans' "The Kids Stays In The Picture." Just a short audio bit, but very funny.

7. George See

George See Second Unit

Glad to hear it's such a great DVD, I tried my local Borders and failed there as well. So had to goto the net, couldn't resist overnight shipping so i'm hoping to get it today. Having a love of both movies and the band i'm expecting i'll really enjoy this.

8. _Matt_L_

_Matt_L_ Auditioning

M
    if you haven't picked it up yet theres a deal with the TMBG catalog (theres a link on tmbg.com or theymightbegiants.com) to get a whole bunch of stuff along with their 2 DVDs (Direct From Brooklyn & Gigantic).

9. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

I got this disc recently from Amazon. I've been a TMBG fan for many years, and I enjoyed seeing Gigantic in its theatrical release, so I knew I'd like the DVD. The extras alone are worth the price -- I'm particularly glad they included the video for "Older".

My only complaint is that the audio (Dolby Digital 2.0) is very center-focused, even during the concert scenes. That makes sense for the interviews, but I would have preferred a wider-sounding mix for the music.

10. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

I enjoyed this alot after having missed it in the theaters. It brought back memories of that first cheapo tape, dial-a-song... spending a new years eve at darinka drinking terrible wine and dancing to TMBG (am i dating myself or what?). Oh, I LOVE those guys SOOOO much -starts crying uncontrollably-!!!!!