Did anyone else see Nemo in Monsters Inc.?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I noticed that Nemo from Finding Nemo in one of the scenes in Monster's Inc.! Is that the first time that a company has given foreshadowing of the next movie like this. This has got to be the first time I have noticed it.

I have seen Pixar do this sort of thing by adding in characters from previous movies into the latest release, but not characters from a future release.

I just was wondering if there are any other cases like this that happen and I just miss them? Thanks.

BTW: The scene in Monster Inc. is when Sully is putting Boo back in her room and picking up toys from the ground. There is Jessie from Toy Story 2 and then Nemo the clown fish from Finding Nemo that Sully picks up. Man, I loved that type of stuff!

2. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

I pretty sure that Disney/Pixar added a Sneek Peek promo for Monsters Inc.like this on their Toy Story/Toy Story 2 discs at the time of their initial release.

3. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Tony,

Yes, there was a preview for Monsters on Toy Story 2 DVD, but no allusion to it in the film itself (As far as I know).

I wouldn't have noticed Nemo in Monsters when I saw in in theaters, but on the DVD after watching the preview for "Finding Nemo" and then watching Monsters again, I noticed it right away (thought it was pretty cool, too).

This is mentioned on the "extras" disk for Monsters, by the way. It and several other interesting items are mentioned in the "Guide to 'in' Jokes" portion.

Perhaps we should pay attention to "Finding Nemo" when it releases to find characters from Pixar's next release?

JKS

4. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

I know Toy Story 2 had the caterpillar from A Bug's Life in a scene but that movie came out before TS2. This is the first time that I've seen them put a character from an upcoming movie in one of their movies. Kinda cute if you ask me, but that's just because I'm dying to see Finding Nemo. That movie looks like it's gonna be stunning to look at and I think it features Albert Brooks' voice and I love that guy. Plus I like that other dumb fish that was in the teaser, "Nothing in my noggin". [​IMG]

5. Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding Second Unit

Ellen Degeneres is the voice of the dumb fish....I agree, looks funny as heck.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    When I watched the Finding Nemo teaser, I was almost certain that it was John Mahoney and Laurie Metcalf. Based on looking at the actual cast list, it must be Albert Brooks and Ellen Degeneres. Shows you what I know. [​IMG]
    Regards,

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Pixar loves to do this sort of thing. A lot of it goes missed though, you really need to pay close attention.

8. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

Slightly off-topic, perhaps, but wasn't Heimlich from ABL on Boo's T-shirt? Or was that merely part of one of the original designs for her?

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    is the name of that clown fish nemo?

or is that fish and the dumb fish trying to find nemo?

10. Jeremy Stockwell

According to IMDB, the characters we see in the trailer are Marlin, voiced by Albert Brooks (I could have sworn it was Penn from Penn & Teller), and Dory voiced by Ellen DeGeneres. The character "Nemo" is voiced by Alexander Gould.
    But, Nemo apparently is a clown fish:
    from IMDB:
    JKS

11. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

If I recall correctly, there is also a clown fish that looks a lot like Nemo on the tapestry in the background at the sushi restaurant.

12. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    ok so how do we know what nemo looks like?

so he probably looks very much like the fish in the nemo teaser, who's name is marlin and is nemo's father,but have we actually seen nemo yet?

so all theses extra little appearances in monsters inc is really nemo's father?

13. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

heh, maybe so, but I am guessing that they would plug the main character of the film and not his father, just because the kinds would relate to Nemo and not his father, but you never know. I am sure that his son looks a lot like him though. (I know I look a lot like my father, ha ha)

but yes, Lee that is Heimlich from ABL on Boo's T-shirt.

I love Pixar! That is so great to be able to see these little things and make almost a game to play with kids if they don't know it is there.

I wonder if they do this in live action films too, sure you might not be able to bring in a character, but little things would be neat between movies that are not sequels.

14. Jeremy Stockwell

Maybe they're pulling a "Saving Private Ryan" on us and the character from the title won't be seen until late in the film. (Except maybe at the very beginning, we'll see an old Nemo swimming around with his family in tow.) [​IMG]
    BTW, on Monster's extras disk, I believe that the "In Joke" section does say that the clown fish that Boo pulls out is Nemo, but the clown fish in the Nemo trailer is Marlin (who may or may not be Nemo's father).
    JKS

15. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.

16. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer