Did Anyone Else Get Three Sony SACD Samplers in the Mail?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan S, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Because I registered my SACD player with Sony shortly after purchasing it a year ago, Sony just sent me three sampler SACD disks in the mail today...two compilations and one Rolling Stones sampler.

One of the samplers is mostly instrumental and jazz music, while the other one is comprised of mostly pop artists. The Stones speaks for itself!

Did anyone else get this? I appreciate the sentiment but it almost seems like they are preaching to the congregation with this one. I already have SACD...I don't need three samplers to "gloriously exemplify the flexibility of the SACD format" (direct quote).

Sony would be better off taking the money used for this campaign and applying it elsewhere, IMO, if they want the SACD format to grow.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Heck with that - I'm going to go online and register my DVP-NS500V. I want the discs! [​IMG]

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Phil, I have to tell you, they sound great. The pop compilation disk has Chris Botti, Celine Dion, Genuwine, Mark O'Connor, Phil Lesh, Marvin Gaye, Yo Yo Ma and others. Not a big fan of either Dion or Genuwine, but their tracks sound great. The O'Connor is the big hit here though. They put Appalachia Waltz, from the American Sessions, and it is simply one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard and the sonics on SACD are amazing.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Evan, if you don't want the Stones or Sony pop SACD sampler (the one with Celine Dion, Chris Botti, etc.), I'll gladly take them! I imagine money would be involved. [​IMG]

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Keith, I probably won't want the Stones actually. I have Hot Rocks on SACD and that's all I really care for. The Stones sampler has 6-7 tracks from all different releases...most of which are NOT on Hot Rocks. But I'm not a huge Stones fan, so I probably won't listen to that one much.

As for the pop sampler, I want to keep it. There are quite a few tracks on there that I am very happy with, performed by artists of whom I doubt I would care to buy the entire SACD...especially the Phil Lesh track, which is very solid, but I'm not a Dead fan and doubt the rest of his SACD would interest me much.

With all of your Sony players, I would have thought you would have gotten about 15 of these disks by now! The second compliation disc is quite good too...there are tracks on there from Vodka and Cavair, music from the Twilight Zone movie and various Classical pieces, as well as David Johansen and Spiro Gyra. Good stuff.

Haven't made up my mind on the Stones yet (actually haven't even played it yet!) But, if I decide not to keep it, send me a PM with your address and I'll mail it to you. No $$$ needs change hands. After all, I got it for free...might as well get it into the hands of someone who can appreciate it. I'll let you know.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Evan, I understand that you want to keep the pop SACD sampler. As for the Stones sampler, I'll send you a Private Message in case you decide you don't want it. Thanks!

I have not gotten these samplers, as they are relatively new. Although I have four Sony SACD players, I bought them all before these samplers came out. My last purchase was a 'C555ES in April 2002, and I registered it with Sony before these samplers came out. I received other Sony samplers in the boxes with my players.

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Keith, you misunderstand. I got my SCD-555ES in December of 2001 and registered it immediately. So, seeing as you registered your 555ES AFTER I registered mine, I think you might be getting yours soon. Mine came on the 24th.

8. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Now I'm wishing I'd registered the Sony DVP-S9000ES I received exactly two years ago today! [​IMG] Somehow I doubt I'd still qualify after this amount of time. Is there any other way of getting the samplers, short of buying another SACD player?
    The player came with a sampler disc, but these new ones sound interesting.
    KJP

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Evan, thanks for the clarification. Interesting. Well, Sony is a huge corporation, so a slow response should not be a surprise. I registered my first 'C555ES in November 2001 and the second one in April 2002. Maybe I'll get some discs from Sony after all. I'll let you know.

10. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

I have 3 SACD machines (all Sony) and all registered with Sony via their on-line registration system - yet I have not received the samplers mentioned in this thread.

I am hoping I receive these as well. I will keep watching the mail.

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Evan, definitely get the American Seasons SACD. The music is a lot of fun and is one of Sony's best sounding discs.

Does that sample have a surround mix? This album was made for it.

I never register anything, so I won't be getting these.

NP: Meatloaf, Bat Out of Hell, SACD

12. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Mike, both sampler disks are multichannel, but the Stones is not obviously. Right now, my setup is 2 channel only as I am in between residences and don't have the opportunity to set up my full rig just yet.

I plan on getting this just as soon as some of the Christmas bills come down a bit. Thanks.