Did anyone else get their copy of DON'T LOOK NOW?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Sharp, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp Stunt Coordinator

I thought this was supposed to street later in Sept, but lo and behold my copy showed up today.
    But, ah, cruel fate...I loaned out my dvd player & won't have it back for 3 more days!! [​IMG]
    Now the suspense is killing me...anyone else have this? How does it look???

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

3. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

Kevin, I guess you Can't Look Now !

Amazon hasn't even shipped mine yet. Normally it usually takes Amazon shipments two weeks to arrive here in Canada.

4. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

my copy shipped this morning from dvdempire. i can't wait to check it out next week.

5. Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp Stunt Coordinator

If you saw the woman I loaned it to, you would definitely eliminate "stupid" from that list. :p)

6. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Be sure to tell us how good the sound quality is. The R2 edition is lacking in this respect.

7. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Don't Look Now is a beautiful represenation of Nick Roeg's film, inclusive of proper grain structure.

Everything looks and sounds proper.

Well done by Paramount.

RAH

9. GerardC

GerardC Agent

Got my copy from a Canadian e-tailer (so it has the bilingual cover). Picture is sweet (on par with a Paramount transfer like The Conversation, but not quite the stellar quality of Marathon Man for example) but more important is the mono sound which is clear as a bell: no distortions, shrill sounds or muffled dialogue lines. I played it both over just the center speaker making the limited dynamic range of the original recording noticeable but I was surprised when I put the track over my 2 front speakers: the music came to life in a powerful way and I felt the track was more pleasing to listen to this way.

10. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I'd have bought it if it was uncut. It is the version released in the states, but a region 2 disc has additional sequences. Paramount should have dug deeper....

11. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

Is the spine bilingual in Canada, or only the front and back?

12. GerardC

GerardC Agent

Both spine and cover are bilingual.

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I think that all has been said about the region 1 & 2 editions of Roeg's untouchable masterpiece, so I'll just say that the region 2 edition of The Man Who Fell To Earth is superb. A fine 2.40:1 anamorphic transfer that perefectly captures Tony Richmond's awesome Panavision cinematography. Anchor Bay are working on a THX DTS 6.1 ES edition, with plans to release it early next year, but the Warner/Canal+ region 2 edition will take some beating. If you own the Fox Lorber letterboxed region 1 edition, then you'll be startled at how DARK that transfer looks in comparrison to the region 2 edition! [​IMG]
    Lots of superb editions of Roeg's films on DVD. Now, if only someone would release Eureka...
    Gordon

14. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This is a favorite of mine.

In fact, I had asked Paramount to send me
    an early screener copy so I could review
    it for the forum (and compare it against the
    R2 German release), but in all their business,
    Paramount forgot to send it.

Alas, too late for a review.

Nonetheless, I ordered a copy from my favorite
    online retailer and anxiously await its arrival.

15. William DAnnucci

William DAnnucci Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up the DON'T LOOK NOW DVD here in NYC, and it appears to be a different cut. I haven't watched the whole film yet, but the sex scene appears to be edited differently using some more explicit shots than my 1988 Paramount videotape. I assume this is the same version as on the German DVD I have been reading about. Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

Picture and sound look fabulous so far, or as good as can be expected for this early 70s film. The red of the little girl's coat really grabs you! Although the only extra is a trailer, I really like it. The trailer is cut in the same bizarre and disturbing way as the film itself. Anyone know if the trailer was the work of the filmmakers?

16. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

It'll be great to get proper confirmation on this, perhaps after Ron (or anyone else who has seen the European cut) is able to compare the two. Does Paramount's new DVD feature the unrated footage, despite their earlier confirmation that it wouldn't? Is the sound that much different from the UK or German discs?

From what I understand, Anchor Bay's eventual MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH DVD will include the same doco as provided on the current UK disc.

I'd love to see new, properly transferred DVD's of Roeg's EUREKA and BAD TIMING.

17. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

DON'T LOOK NOW is one of the greatest horror films of all time, and I will be first in line for this disc on Tuesday! The stores had damn well better stock enough copies though!
    If this DVD is actually uncut, I hope Blythe doesn't see this thread and recall the disc.

18. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I talked to Paramount about this disc a
    month ago. It is the cut version. Realize,
    however, as much as I am bothered that the
    studio did not release the unrated version,
    I am guessing there are only mere seconds cut
    from the sex scenes between Sutherland and Christie.

19. William DAnnucci

William DAnnucci Stunt Coordinator

Ron-
    You are certainly right about there only being a matter of seconds between the two different versions. Having a slow Labor Day weekend here, so I forced myself to take a closer look at the sex scenes (oh, the agony) on both Paramount's 1988 VHS tape (which is the US censored version) and their new DVD. The DVD definitely contains a more explicit cut of the sex scene. On the tape, tamer shots were substituted for the censored ones within the montage, without spoiling the overall length and flow of the sequence.
    I went into more detail here at Mobius Home Video Forum, including a quote from Roeg in the excellent BFI book on DON'T LOOK NOW:
    http://mhvf.net/forum/scifihorror/posts/124234701.html
    In any case, it is a wonderful DVD of the film. Fans should pounce. I have not seen it look or sound this good since it screened at Manhattan's Cinema Village in the 90s. But this appears to be the restored version of the European cut, so I suppose I've never seen it this good. The trailer is really off the wall and the English subtitles help with some scenes.
    Controversy over sex scene lengths aside, its one of the greatest horror films ever made and the DVD is well worth the money.
    -Bill

20. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

So this is the uncut version, afterall?