Did Anyone Buy a 14HR Refurbished TiVo from Overstock?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeM, Mar 13, 2001.

1. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Just wanted to know any feedback on these 14hr Phillips units from overstock.com since they are not new. Thanks.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Scott Littlefield

Scott Littlefield Stunt Coordinator

I ordered one last week, and should arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping that because this unit is a refurb, anything that was wrong should be fixed now. If that's true, my chances of this being a good unit seem to be better than a "new" unit purchased off the shelf.
    At least, this is what I'm telling myself....

3. Steve Soileau

Steve Soileau Auditioning

I bought a 14hr refurbished unit from ubid. Received it yesterday, and it is working fine. Everything looks brand new.
    Steve Soileau

4. Scott Littlefield

My 14hr refurb showed up yesterday from Overstock.com and it was in perfect condition! Everything worked properly and as far as the packaging goes, there was no way to tell this had been previously owned and refurbished.
    Now I'm going to wait for the OS upgrade to come down and add a second drive in. My 14hr will be over 90hrs shortly!

5. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

Scott,
    There should be no reason to wait for version 2.0.1
    I upgraded my 14 hour unit with a 60 gig HD under 1.3. I just got 2.0.1 last week and had no problems.
    Eric

6. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Sounds good. I too ordered one of these, and the unit sure looked brand spaking new.
    The only problem is that my unit seemed to go back into the Demo Mode after it had already been activated. I was able to power cycle and make sure this time that I selected the option to configure this for a "Cosumer" version. (I honestly can't remember I set it up originally like this.)
    I have an 80GB HD set to arrive and I'm going to upgrade it as soon as it arrives.
    Eric, have you already compelted the backup for the A drive for your Phillips 14hr unit? If so, were you able to fit a "virgin" A drive on just one CD-R disc?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Scott Littlefield

8. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Scott, thanks for the feedback.
    ctually regarding the Demo Mode, I totally understand that they ship in the demo mode, but what's weird is that when I set it up the first time, everything was ok. I was able to record, set fav channels, pick shows to record, do everything.
    Then all of a sudden in went BACK to the demo mode. I may have set it up wrong from the start, so we'll see. I just pray it doesn't go back to the demo mode.
    Also, for those interesting in upgrading, outpost.com has the Maxtor DiamondMax 80GB drive for $284.95. No tax, and free overnight shipping. Not bad.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

9. aeveritt

aeveritt Agent

I believe there was a site I recently found that had the Maxtor 80GB 5400 RPM drives for about $230, which is about as cheap as I've ever seen them. I was considering checking with my local Staples to see if they would price match. I'll look to see if I can find the site if anyone's interested. Also, if anyone knows of an 80GB drive for less money please let me know.
    Also, the demo mode being loaded on the Tivos is apparently only one variable that causes a "virgin" drive to not backup onto one CD-R. Tivo apparently does a test recording of many units before they leave the factory. This test recording can be of various lengths. If Tivo did no recording or only did a very short recording then the backup may fit. By the way, your Tivo would not show a link to the test recording because that part was deleted somehow prior to leaving the factory. However, the data would be there until that area was written over with new data. This test recording, probably more than anything else, is why some people are able to back up on a CD-R and some aren't.

10. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Well, I upgraded my unit last night, and WOW. Very, very cool.
    By adding a 80GB Maxtor drive, the maximum recording time jumps up to a whopping 117 minutes!!
    Life is good. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

11. Rod Martin

Rod Martin Stunt Coordinator

Rod
    I do hope you mean *hours*!
    I ordered mine as well and UPS tracking says it's in my city and so I expect to get it today! YAY!
    So, about how long does it take before you first plug it in before you are able to use it (record something)?

12. Scott Littlefield

After activating your TiVo account, about 2-3 hours....

13. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

FYI...I backed up my drive onto another hard drive, not CD-R.
    Eric

14. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Oops, nice catch! Yes, I'm an idiot, I meant to say that my 14 hour TiVo is now a 117 HOUR TiVo! [​IMG]
    As for a backup, I actually didn't even do one. I just got lazy, bought the exact same TiVo model for my dad, and can use his software in an emergency.
    I can't get over how awesome this TiVo is.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

15. Rod Martin

Rod
    Is that whole 2-3 hours spent on the phone downloading stuff?

16. John Welch

John Welch Stunt Coordinator

No, it only spends 10-15 minutes on the phone downloading. The rest of the time is spent creating the database for the guide and creating the index for the database.

17. Rod Martin

Rod
    Yes! Got mine last Friday. Spent 2-3 hours setting it up only to find out I had selected the Demo Mode and had to run through the whole setup again! Grrr.
    Anyway, TiVo is just about everything everyone has said here on this forum. My wife and I are loving it and I'm looking forward to upgrading it in the next few days.

18. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter