What's new

Did anyone ask Warner about this... (1 Viewer)

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
I see how shows like the Drew Carey Show may not get subsequent releases due to sales. In several reviews, fans have said that they will wait for the 2nd or 3rd season, when it starts getting really good. Now, I want season 1, I just havent had any extra money yet. Do they ever take that into consideration?

Also, what is the time span in which they look over sales? What if it does stellar first 2 weeks but not well afterwards? What if it's steady? I want to buy it so it counts as a vote for further seasons, when should that be until? This is such a great show that deserves it'
s entire run to be released and I want to do my part. I just hope that these guys realize some of the factors...

Chad

Mike*SC

Second Unit
Of course they realize this. But sales for series always go down in subsequent seasons. Always. And even if they didn't, it's just not an easy sell to suggest "Sure, the first season or two didn't sell, but people will really love the third." Realize that it's not just a matter of the studio deciding to lay out the investment, they also have to convince retailers to give this stuff shelf space.

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
How many people still actually buy these things in stores though?

I get everything from Amazon or DeepDiscount (or even direct from Warners when they have killer sales!) cause much cheaper prices, generally no taxes, free shipping etc etc etc.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
I have absolutely no idea about the percentages purchased online vs. in brick-and-mortar stores. (For me, it's about 70% online, but sad to say, I don't think I'm statistically significant.) But whatever it is, in-store sales are very significant, and impulse buys are much heavier in actual stores, as (I've read) are gift sales. (Which makes sense -- you go to the store looking for inspiration.)

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
I wish more people bought online. The only downside is, for example, on amazon, people will buy the cheapest items and that is usually a used item, which don't count towards a tally. Its happening in stores like FYE with used items. The money only goes to the company and not the rightful owners of the shows property, which hurt subsequent releases. Plus FYE make more money off of used so they promote it.

Chad

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I buy online but most people do not think like that. What Wal-Mart or Best Buy pushes is what sells best. Take the Warner day when Seasons 1 of Fresh Prince, Night Court, Murphy Brown, Full House, Jamie Foxx and the Wayans Brothers were all released. At about 7 Wal-Mart's in my area, a Target, a Best Buy, there were hundreds of Fresh Princes and Fulll Houses at each but none or one of Night court, Murphy, Wayans. I think Jamie Foxx might have gotten a bit more in there due to a film at the time but still nowhere near the amount of Fresh Prince and Full House. I looked for Night Court and Murphy Brown releases B&M because I felt the urgent need for right now but one Night Court at one place. Now it is possible that they sold out but given the shelf space, I imagine the was only enough room for 1 amongst an overstock of the other. I found it odd that the best shows were treated so poorly.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Did anyone ask (and I assume they didn't since it is not in the transcript but I will ask anyway) about Batman and Paul Brownstein's recent comments that it's the Warner side (DC) that's holding it up?

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Whenever i go to actual stores such as Borders they never have the stuff as soon as it is released ("Uh that was released yesterday, we won't get it for a few moer weeks". So I don't bother, I order everything online, and sometimes it even comes before release date.

Anyway used media is essential for anybody buying these things Chad. It's nice to know "if I don't like it, I can sell it and recoup a portion of my costs". If you went out and banned selling used merchandise (don't know how that would even be enforceable), sales would decrease even more.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

I offer a hearty Amen to that. Probably 1/3 of my TV on DVD collection has been purchased used, and at a HUGE cost savings. I got all 5 of my Dick Van Dyke Seasons for +/- $30 at a time when they were retailing for around $60. No way my collection would be as expansive as it is, did I not have the option to buy used. On the flipside, I am thrilled to be able to in turn sell sets that either I or my kids have lost interest in.

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
I understand that buying used saves money. I do it occasionally. I am just saying that it sucks because that is somebody interested in the product but it doesn't count toward subsequent releases. I wish there were some way that that did happen. If it's usually a $2 or $3 difference, I usually buy it new just because of that. Especially with DVD seasons. Certain titles need and deserve extra tally points

Chad

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately, the vendors of used media (including used bookstores which sell DVDs) would probably balk at having to pay royalties, because they didn't buy them from an authorized dealer to begin with.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

I understand the dilemma. But speaking for myself, I've never bothered buying used to save only $2-$3. The shipping cost alone would negate a savings that small. With my purchases it's been a HUGE difference. Like getting used Femme Nikita sets for $40 when they were retailing for $89. I've thoroughly enjoyed that series, but not enough to drop almost $90 bucks a pop for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks