What's new

did anybody else get Species instead of Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter with Total Movie? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
In Canada we were supposed to get Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter (another fine Canadian film) instead of Species. Naturally I bought the magazine just of that. But when I got home it was Species. In pan and scan. Did anybody else get the wrong movie? Are all Total Movie movies not in OAR?

jeremy

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Not all Total Movie films are modified for "standard televisions." Back when it was called InsideDVD, they included Infinity which was presented in letterbox(1.66:1).

But the MGM films that they secured the distribution rights to, are not the same as the DVDs that could be purchased in stores.

The $14.95 SRP Species DVD from MGM Home Entertainment has 16:9 and pan & scan transfers on a DVD-10. Along with trailer and collectable booklet. The only caveat is that this is the R rated version and its the only version available. But it can be had for around $10.00 in most stores.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I knew that Species would be the next movie... I don't really care, but what were they thinking putting it on in P&S?? That magazine is such a mess. I will not be resubscribing - and I DO NOT recommend ANYONE get a subscription... EVEN for the '40 movies' - they're in terrible state - many of them you are better off with a VHS copy. At least silent movies have MUSIC on VHS!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've had a helluva time getting the August issue with the 8-track documentary- they can't seem to get it delivered to my mailbox; I finally found out that Blockbuster actually sells the magazines WITH the disc so I bought it there (as much as I hate Blockbuster, I wasn't going to miss getting this.) Naturally the newer issue hasn't come to me either, is Blockbuster selling that too? (I still want it just for the trailers; including "Species" in pan and scan was probably a mistake.)
They were late sending me the 40-movie set too, but made up for it by sending a second one which I gave to my parents.
Everybody MUST see "So Wrong They're Right" if they haven't already!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Trust me-- after choking down Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter at the Silverlake Film Festival last night, you're not missing anything. It's got a couple of laughts, but is so amateur-hour that it very quickly wears out its interiminable 85 minutes.

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
One what day did you receive your copy of "TM&E" magz?

And are you sure that the copy of Species is "P&S" and not "FULL FRAME" since from what I can tell it was shot in 35mm.

If the DVD that I get is really a "P&S" DVD I will be sending "TM&E" a hate movie.

--David

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Yes, "Species" was included with my copy in an awful dull-looking transfer, disastrously framed pan and scan, low-fi two-channel audio with very little definition and monaural-sounding.

This is the first time that I bought Total Movie & Entertainment magazine with InsideDVD. I bought it mainly for the shorts and the feature on the DVD. Overall, the sound and picture quality are substandard throughout.

I suppose this was to be expected, though I was hoping for the best. You cannot get much for $9.99 CDN after all.

At best, in my estimation, it's an amateurish effort. I strongly doubt that I would buy again unless the grapevine reveals any marked improvements in subsequent issues.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't read this thread before. I didn't need to, since I hadn't planned on getting TM&E ever again.
Yesterday, though, I found this issue of TM&E magazine on the mag racks at Waldenbooks, and was pleased to see A) that the free film on the disc WAS Species, a film we've wanted to pick up on DVD but somehow never got around to, and B) that the DVD was actually included in the mag sitting in the store again, instead of requiring you to send away for it.
I foolishly assumed that the movie would be the exact same transfer on the separate DVD. It didn't even OCCUR to me that a different transfer would be used...much less a P&S one! :rolleyes
I can see that THIS $7.99 was wasted. Live and learn. Sheesh!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
They've had a big problem with the sound on their discs- not only is there no stereo separation, but it has a hollow processed feel to it as well. They actually fixed this on the So Wrong They're Right issue, but managed to bring the problem back for the new issue. The "Maakies" cartoon sounds good, but everything after that has the sound problem, including the parts of "Species" that I checked (I'll watch it straight through someday when I'm bored.) I've complained about the sound before and they claimed they didn't hear anything wrong with it :rolleyes:
On top of that, I haven't gotten anything in the mail in ages- I had to buy the last 2 issues at stores (Blockbuster carried the SWTR issue with the disc, and looks like all stores are carrying the latest one). I'll keep buying the mag just because I like to save any trailer or promotional-related stuff, but I wouldn't blame anyone for giving up at this point!

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
I've been a subscriber ever since it was known as "InsideDVD," The material was good back then, but the issues and dvds seem to get cheaper and cheaper every month. This month's "Species" was the last straw. I also was expecting the same transfer as the existing DVD, but it looks worse than VHS and even the cable broadcast a few nights ago, not to mention that it's not OAR. I won't be renewing this subscription anymore.:thumbsdown:
P.S.: Dave, if you could, it would be great to let more ppl know about this by putting it in your Wekly Rundup (which is great)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I read a review Of JCVH at Film Threats website and got a good laugh out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks