What's new

Did any of you owners try a PC monitor with DVI? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Generally, PC monitors have been better displays than TV-sets. Of course, most of them are smaller than you would wish to use in a HT. Another disadvantage could be the current number of horizontal pixels: most have 1280 or 1366 at best and 1024 vertical pixels at max. But that could be less of a disadvantage in certain circumstances and 1920 x 1200 / WUXGA are starting to hit the market (well, I've seen WQXGA 2560 x 1600 too).

So my question to you HD DVD owners is, is it practically feasible, have any of you tried, to use a HDMI->DVI connection and display the image on a PC monitor, probably LCD or TFT of course? And how did it look?

I understand you would need to get the sound out through other means, but this question is about the image.

Cees

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Thats a good question. Anyone able to try it out? I would be using it mostly for my Panny AE700 but for day time would prob be handy to put through the PC LCD!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I have used both players on the 21" 16:10 gateway LCD flat monitor. The TV does 1680x1050 ... which gets me about 1.75 million pixels of the 2 million on the disc.

The monitor has DVI with hdcp so it plays back fine. I use it to look for flaws in the HD DVD material when I don't think I can see them on the projector (720) or the plasma (1366x768). Images look great on the little monitor and you cannot mistake it for DVD upconvert with the computer or anything else.

Regards

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Michael,

Thanks, that's great.

I hoped it would! I have several uses for that.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks