Did ABC cancel The Job? (UPDATE: It's back already???)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin M, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Goddammit I am so sick of ABC pulling the plug on great shows if they don't hit it out of the ball park after 7 or 8 shows, these morons never seem to give new shows a chance to gather a loyal following and I thought The Job had a loyal following!
    I really hope it is just on hiatus like it had been last year because I think this is a pull no punches hilarious show that deserves to be on network TV and piss off as many people as it can.

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I read somewhere recently that "The Job" has indeed been cancelled, although I can't remember where. I've also read that it is "on the bubble". So it may not be officially cancelled, but it's probably close. [​IMG]
    Too bad - this is a great show. The last few episodes were the best yet - I think the show was really just hitting its stride.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

ABC has all these gems of shows, but doesn't know what to do with them.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

AFAIK, ABC showed all of the episodes of The Job that it ordered (EDIT: Guess not, in light of subsequent developments; see below). The show that's taken over its timeslot (Wednesday 9:30, 8:30 central) is produced by Peter Tolan, who co-produces The Job with Leary.
    It seems unlikely that ABC will order more episodes. The ratings were very poor, despite its great ensemble. (EDIT: Of course, what I didn't take into account was the possibility that Wednesday would do worse.)
    M.

5. Rey L

Rey L Stunt Coordinator

Just as Craig said, it is considered to be "on the bubble". No official announcement has been made. Although sadly, considering the numbers it has pulled this season, it probably won't return.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well, according to ABC.com "The Job will be back soon!".......yeah well..

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I was just thinking today about the way Networks yank shows after only a few episodes. If a show is a *quality* show (they're fairly obvious), it's got a good shot at developing a following, if they'd just give it a season without bouncing it around or restrain themselves from cancelling it after 3 or 4 badly-rated episodes. Do they think that developing a whole new show would end up costing less than giving an existing production a chance?

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I agree the Job was one of the best Comedies on the tube, and probably the best Cop Comedy since Barney Miller. I Loved the ep when Leary's Partner had his BBQ and they all got stiffed in the back yard. Great Writing and a great Cast = Cancelled ShowNice "Job" ABC, surely they can bring back "Full House" now that ran for an eternity thou.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Last night during Alias, ABC advertised that there will be a new episode of The Job this Wed., 4/10, in the usual timeslot. It's supposed to be a new episode, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Doesn't sound like Wednesday, 9:30/8:30 Central is working out.

I've updated the title of this thread.

M.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What's weird is that TV Guide doesn't list this episode as a repeat, but the title of the episode is called "Neighbor" so maybe it's a new one about Mike's neighbor hitting on his wife. Purely speculating.

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    But this sounds like they are just burning off what they have left in the can. Maybe they should give it a good time slot like keading into NYPD Blue

12. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Regardless if the series has been cancelled, at least we can appreciate these last three or four episodes as our final helpings of one of tv's funniest shows.

13. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I love "The Job"! I'm still hoping it's not officially canceled. . .last season only had 8 episodes. . . They can still bring it back next season if they only have these 3 left. . . Man, I'm just upset if it's gone -- just have one more "Once and Again" to go, too. . .ABC[​IMG] !