What's new

Did a sub now.... D8's? (1 Viewer)

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking for my next diy project. I really need some towers for my fronts and I came across speakerbuilder.net and the D8 project.
Anyone out here build em'? I have a few questions.
1. What kind of power handling/ sensitivity do they have?
2. I don't have seperates yet don't want fry my receiver
3. Can they be bi-wired/bi-amplified?
3a. Is this just a matter of making the low-pass and high pass part of the crossover separate, and using a bi-wire term cup?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Chris Keen

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember right, the D8 was basically a D3, but done with 8" drivers instead of the 6.5" drivers.

I don't know about the D8, or the D3 for that matter, but I recently built a set of these.

These were for my parents, and the first non-subwoofer speakers that I had built. They turned out really well, and I was quite surprised at just how good $150 worth of speaker parts could sound. Even my wife was impressed.

The only common thread here, is that the two designs (D3 and dB616TL) use the same drivers. FWIW, the dB616TL speakers put out a surprising amount of bass.

I would bet that the D3 (or D8 for that matter) would be a much easier box to build, and probably has a pretty similar sound. If you don't need the slimmer design of the D3, why not build the D8? Also, there are shielded versions of both the tweeter and the woofer (6.5") available if that is a concern to you. Apparently most people have determined that they are so similar to the non-shielded versions, that no adjustments are necessary to the cross-over portions.

Also, I don't have an answer for you with regards to bi-amping and the cross-over. That's beyond what I currently know.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Chris. I was looking at the D3's originally when I came across the D8's the difference in price is minimal and the D8's are supposed to be full range. So I figured I would go with the D8's.

MarkRoberts

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone out there have any reviews or comments concerning the D8's?
Just want to know what to expect, don't want to be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks