Did 80s show get cancelled or moved?

TreyP

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw Fox's preview for Wednesday's lineup, it showed Malcom in the Middle right before Grounded for Life. I hope not cause 80s show and Grounded are my 2 fav shows and pretty much the only 2 I ever watch. Plus, Tuesday is HOTT!

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Let's hope it was cancelled. Is it just me, or is that the stupidest show on TV? The canned laughter will laugh at anything.

John Berggren

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
The canned laughter will laugh at anything.
I find that to be true of most bad sitcoms. The worst offender I've seen in recent memory was Reba. Or at least the 10 minutes I could bear of one episode...

I had thought That 80's Show had been cancelled a while ago - based on discussion in the Greg the Bunny thread, but they keep advertising new episodes, so I have no idea.

I think they should have kept with That 70's Show and let That 80's Show be the same cast in college.

MickeS

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Larry, you and I seem to have the same sense of humor... I too like "That 80's show".

My favorite character is Katie, she's just a great actress with great timing, but the whole cast is really good.

I really hope they don't cancel it!

/Mike

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Fox only cancels funny shows that people actually enjoy (like Undeclared).
And what a shame it is that this show was cancelled. Thank you, Fox.

But, why should we complain. I'm sure they'll give us a fantastic "World's Most Dangerous Caged Animal Masturbations"

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Actually, "Undeclared" isn't quite dead yet. Apatow seems to really think it has a chance of returning this fall - and really, all bets on Fox's schedule are off with the departures of "The X-Files" and "Ally McBeal". There's a lot of space to be had there.

Bob McElfresh

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I wanted to like That 80's show, but most of it's humor is just predictable slams at the times/fashion/movies. It's almost insulting to anyone who lived through those times - not a way to get ratings.
While I like one or two of the characters, it's just not enough to carry the show.

TreyP

Stunt Coordinator
So does anyone know for sure what's going on with this show? Thier site says nothing.

LarryDavenport

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Friday is supposed to be the day where shows get renewed or cancelled (according to E Online's Wanda column). It doesn't look good for That 80's Show, Titus, or Undeclared. Andy Richter is still a maybe.

MickeS

Producer
Senior HTF Member
What the hell does Fox want? A new "Simpsons" right away? I'm sorry, but they have so few good shows as it is, you'd think that they would keep the new ones around for at least 2 full seasons to give them a chance.

And is it just here, or is Fox's primetime schedule always an hour shorter than everyone else's? At 9 PM here (which would be 10PM on the east coast primetime schedule) they start their syndicated reruns. Basically, they only have 2 hours of new programming every day (and sometimes those are reruns too) and there are no local news on Fox here.

So what the hell are they thinking?

John Berggren

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
What the hell does Fox want? A new "Simpsons" right away?
Short answer: Yes.

What Fox has joined the big three networks in thinking is that a program should be a raging hit right out of the barrell. They've been just as guilty lately of killing a show off before it had a chance to find it's audience as the other three networks.

What they don't understand is that the current mode of network programming would have allowed Seinfeld 3-6 episodes before the ax fell. Seinfeld! The same show that ended up #1 on TV Guide's list of 50 best programs.

I would love to work as a network executive in charge of programming. TV really needs a renaissance of patience and daring.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, FOX only has 2 hours of prime time programming per night (except Sunday when the have 3 hours). They are still a mini-major in this respect. In my market, it turns out OK since we have no WB affiliate the FOX affiliate has rights to broadcast WB shows in the 7pm and 10pm timeslots.
It is a shame that networks are so quick to cancel new shows. As mentioned, "Seinfeld" only got mediocre ratings for the first couple of seasons, then it became a television phenomenon. "Cheers" is also another beloved show that started off poorly. The networks all want shows of that caliber, but they seem to forget that neither show was a hit "out of the box" and required several seasons of patience and nurturing. In today's climate, the quick trigger would mean no chance for "Seinfeld" or "Cheers," which would also mean no "Frasier" or "The Tortellis" (um, forget that last one).

Oh, and to the topic at hand, FOX is promoting an episode of "That 80's Show" next week with display advertisements in TV Guide pumping guest appearances by Debbie Gibson and Morgan Fairchild, so it's likely not a rerun.

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
they have so few good shows as it is, you'd think that they would keep the new ones around for at least 2 full seasons to give them a chance.
Isn't that something like three times as long as a network executive can expect to keep his or her job?

I'm not going to say that I'm terribly fond of the quick hook, but I get the reasoning to a certain extent. Which strategy is more likely to produce a hit - sticking with one show for an entire season or two, or continually trying something new until one of the shows sticks? What good did that second season of "Jesse" do for NBC, for instance?

Occasionally, you'll get a "Seinfeld" which blossoms late. But you know, even if, say, "The Tick" could have been another "Seinfeld", the people who made it are still in the business. "The Tick"'s Liz Vassey is in another pilot for this spring, and if "The Dragans of New York" winds up being a good show, should we begrudge it its existence because another good show had to die for it to get its star?

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I have tried to like T8S, but it has no charm (and I agree, the '80's as a decade had none), I do not find the cast interesting at all. There is nothing there to like about the characters.

T8S has 2 more episodes left that will air in the May sweeps (including next weeks show airing right after "That 70's Show". I bet they are hoping for a better lead-in. They are already doing stunt-casting with "Tiffany" during the last episode (and only one good joke out of it), and Debbie Gibson next week.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania.farrell