Did 80s show get cancelled or moved?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TreyP, Apr 29, 2002.

1. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

I just saw Fox's preview for Wednesday's lineup, it showed Malcom in the Middle right before Grounded for Life. I hope not cause 80s show and Grounded are my 2 fav shows and pretty much the only 2 I ever watch. Plus, Tuesday is HOTT!

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It's sweeps. Low-performing shows get put on the bench.

3. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

Let's hope it was cancelled. Is it just me, or is that the stupidest show on TV? The canned laughter will laugh at anything. [​IMG]

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

5. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

It won't get cancelled. Fox only cancels funny shows that people actually enjoy (like Undeclared).

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Specifically, what's wrong with That 80's Show? I happen to like it.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Larry, you and I seem to have the same sense of humor... I too like "That 80's show".

My favorite character is Katie, she's just a great actress with great timing, but the whole cast is really good.

I really hope they don't cancel it!

/Mike

8. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Actually, "Undeclared" isn't quite dead yet. Apatow seems to really think it has a chance of returning this fall - and really, all bets on Fox's schedule are off with the departures of "The X-Files" and "Ally McBeal". There's a lot of space to be had there.

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I wanted to like That 80's show, but most of it's humor is just predictable slams at the times/fashion/movies. It's almost insulting to anyone who lived through those times - not a way to get ratings.
    While I like one or two of the characters, it's just not enough to carry the show.

11. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

So whatever happeded to Titus?

12. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Its listed as on next week on Tuesday, but it's likely to be a rerun.

13. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

So does anyone know for sure what's going on with this show? Thier site says nothing.

14. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Friday is supposed to be the day where shows get renewed or cancelled (according to E Online's Wanda column). It doesn't look good for That 80's Show, Titus, or Undeclared. Andy Richter is still a maybe.

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

What the hell does Fox want? A new "Simpsons" right away? I'm sorry, but they have so few good shows as it is, you'd think that they would keep the new ones around for at least 2 full seasons to give them a chance.

And is it just here, or is Fox's primetime schedule always an hour shorter than everyone else's? At 9 PM here (which would be 10PM on the east coast primetime schedule) they start their syndicated reruns. Basically, they only have 2 hours of new programming every day (and sometimes those are reruns too) and there are no local news on Fox here.

So what the hell are they thinking?

16. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yes, FOX only has 2 hours of prime time programming per night (except Sunday when the have 3 hours). They are still a mini-major in this respect. In my market, it turns out OK since we have no WB affiliate the FOX affiliate has rights to broadcast WB shows in the 7pm and 10pm timeslots.
    It is a shame that networks are so quick to cancel new shows. As mentioned, "Seinfeld" only got mediocre ratings for the first couple of seasons, then it became a television phenomenon. "Cheers" is also another beloved show that started off poorly. The networks all want shows of that caliber, but they seem to forget that neither show was a hit "out of the box" and required several seasons of patience and nurturing. In today's climate, the quick trigger would mean no chance for "Seinfeld" or "Cheers," which would also mean no "Frasier" or "The Tortellis" (um, forget that last one). [​IMG]
    Oh, and to the topic at hand, FOX is promoting an episode of "That 80's Show" next week with display advertisements in TV Guide pumping guest appearances by Debbie Gibson and Morgan Fairchild, so it's likely not a rerun.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

19. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

I have tried to like T8S, but it has no charm (and I agree, the '80's as a decade had none), I do not find the cast interesting at all. There is nothing there to like about the characters.

T8S has 2 more episodes left that will air in the May sweeps (including next weeks show airing right after "That 70's Show". I bet they are hoping for a better lead-in. They are already doing stunt-casting with "Tiffany" during the last episode (and only one good joke out of it), and Debbie Gibson next week.