What's new

Dick Van Dyke Show - Season 3 cut episode? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've mentioned this here in the past, but in the Christmas episode titled "The Alan Brady Show Presents", I'm all but convinced something is cut.

Almost exactly 15 minutes into the episode (Both on the DVD and what Hulu has available for viewing), the transition from Buddy and Sally doing their sketch to Rob and Laura being dressed up as Santa's just doesn't seem right. It's very abrupt and sloppy like something went in between both scenes that is now missing. It's very much unlike any other transition between scenes in the entire series that always felt natural and correct on the rest of the DVD's. It just doesn't seem right.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/113991/the-dick-van-dyke-show-the-alan-brady-show-presents#x-0,vepisode,1,0

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on to the matter? There's no clips of this section of the episode up on YouTube from something like a old Nick at Nite airing of the episode or anything of the such that I could find to compare with.

Also, at the beginning of the episode, I wonder if there was an actual sponsor segment inserted at the correct spot when Rob hands off the broadcast for a sponsor segment? Would seem appropriate and make things flow a bit better.

Anyone know?

I know when these were released that a line was cut from a scene due to the surviving materials, but I don't recall which episode it was.

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

I've mentioned this here in the past, but in the Christmas episode titled "The Alan Brady Show Presents", I'm all but convinced something is cut.

Almost exactly 15 minutes into the episode (Both on the DVD and what Hulu has available for viewing), the transition from Buddy and Sally doing their sketch to Rob and Laura being dressed up as Santa's just doesn't seem right. It's very abrupt and sloppy like something went in between both scenes that is now missing. It's very much unlike any other transition between scenes in the entire series that always felt natural and correct on the rest of the DVD's. It just doesn't seem right.

I don't have access to the DVDs or Hulu at the moment (who told you I was posting this from work?), but if the last line in the Sally/Buddy sketch is Sally saying, "I didn't know that was Jingle Bells!", I vaguely remember that being the ending when it aired on local TV decades ago. (I thought the "dancing Santas" number ended relatively abruptly as well.) It could be just the nature of the way the episode was produced; it's just a collection of musical numbers, and obviously they were recorded separately.

(Speaking of this episode, there was one bit of continuity that they ignored; in the episode where they have the talent search, Richie is practically tone-deaf, but in this episode, he does a halfway decent job on "The Little Drummer Boy.")

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
That makes sense as a possible explanation since the episode was filmed so differently than most all of the rest of the series. That line is intact by the way.

I never did care for this episode. It's probably my least favorite of the series by a fair margin, although it's still watchable. I love Christmas themed tv shows, but they sure seemed tough to pull off with any success and not many series managed to do it well.

I'd love to know what line that was Eric if you ever remember it or recall where you heard that from.

Great releases though, even if it ever comes to light that this episode was indeed cut a tiny bit (From the running times, it can't be missing very much). Running through all 5 seasons again after a couple of years away and the releases and the show are as good as it always was. I don't ever forsee a day where I tire of this series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks