What's new

Dick Van Dyke Show Reunion (1 Viewer)

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
Is this going to be released? Or was this released with any of the season/ complete series sets? I don't own any of the sets so I'm wondering.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
If it's the latter of the reunion/anniversary shows, the one hosted by Ray Romano it's not worth a release imo. I didn't care for it, as reunion shows aren't much fun when key cast members are no longer w/us. I think retrospectives are the way to go, although it was a good shot/story idea but not my cup of tea.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

I am not aware of any reunion from 1984. I'd love to see it!

There was one that aired on CBS in 1994, called The Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered, which was hosted by Charles Kuralt. And it does appear on the season sets. It appears complete on the Season Four set. But also, lots of outtake interviews from the filming of it appear throughout all the season sets as extras.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I always remember the Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered for when they showed the recreation of the Petrie living room in color and then the switched to B&W.
It didn't look right until it was B&W. Too bad the cast wasn't interviewed together. Only exception was a little of Mary and Dick together. It was the same with the All In The Family anniversary show. The actors were filmed alone.
The Mary Tyler Moore Show Reunion got it right.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

That is the one Chad referenced in the second post. As he said it was sadly not very good, from a middle aged Richie to Millie looking old enough to be Laura's mother, it just was not something that should have been attempted almost 40 years after the show ended. The characters and actors could not be and act like they were so what was the point. The characters are frozen in time in reruns and that is how they should have remained. They are of their time, the first half of the sixties. The show kind of ended in a loop with Alan Brady purchasing the rights to make Rob's autobiography into a sitcom to star Alan Brady.written by Rob, Buddy, and Sally.
You could think of the Dick Van Dyke Show as being that show.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
The other problem I had with it was that Carl Reiner made Alan Brady too much a part of the reunion show. Alan Brady worked best in small doses, and he certainly wasn't essential to the series (although Carl himself was). The reunion should not have focused so much on Alan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks