1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Dick Van Dyke show on DVD: possible model for other TV series releases?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatthewA, Oct 21, 2001.

1. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
  2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I saw the "DVD on DVD" site many moons ago, and knew things were in-the-works.
    This sounds like things are finalized, and getting ready to ship out soon. That's terrific!
    I personally will go for the "Ottoman" collection with everything in it. I LOVE the Dick Van Dyke show, and have the existing 6-episode disc that I couldn't resist for $9.99, even if it was the detestable "Best-Of" crud.
    I'll be first in line for the whole set. Thanks for reminding me that this was going on; it had slipped my mind. I've bookmarked it now!
    Gord, are you catching this? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

3. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

Definitely worth getting the entire series. However, I got the impression (perhaps wrongly) that it'll be a while before this comes out. But it's worth the wait if there are special features as suggested.
    An aside to show how much this show meant to me as a child of 10: I'd been feeling kinda sick for a couple days, but my parents thought I was just trying to get out of school a day or two. Wednesday night I felt really lousy and went to bed early. About 11, I was awakened and taken to the doctor's office and from there to the hospital with appendicitis. My parents knew that if I went to bed before Dick Van Dyke aired, I was honestly ill.
    One of the great sitcoms of all time.
    ------------------
    I suppose you think that's very funny, Harold.
    my DVDs

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I'm going to have to go for the Ottoman Edition, as well. Although I was a bit young to remember the original broadcasts, I've seen the shows countless times in syndication. I like what they say they are planning!
    - Steve

5. David Lambert

quote: I like what they say they are planning![/quote]
    Absolutely. And to get back on-topic, yes the priorities they list for Dick Van Dyke Show's release on DVD is the same guidelines ALL TV-DVDer's should be using.
    It's a darn shame that, classic as this show is (and it's EXTREMELY high in my mind), the even-higher-priority shows aren't getting the same attention. Star Trek:TNG and M*A*S*H sound like they are, but I Love Lucy seems to be getting shorted on the quality and season-box-sets department, as will All In The Family will likely be since their from the same source. Tonight Show is not only a best-of, but it's priced way too damn high. Muppet Show is done well, and fairly easy to get and reasonably priced despite not being in stores, but is still just a best-of. Little House on the Prairie has 6 discs, and those are from Goodtimes...you figure out what the quality is.
    Where's WKRP? Where's MTM? Where's Hulk, Get Smart, Sliders, Quantum Leap, and He-Man? WHERE IS GILLIGAN'S ISLAND AND LEAVE IT TO BEAVER?
    The guidelines set down at DVDonDVD should be the "bible" for putting television on DVD. And they should get started sooner rather than later, because all those old shows need lots of work done, and the consumer demand IS going to be there when the work has been finished!
    And, as always, my signature is...
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    [Edited last by David Lambert on October 21, 2001 at 08:47 PM]

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

well even though I've never seen the show, the way they are putting it out should be done with all shows coming to DVD. [​IMG]

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I'm with Rob. I'm not a fan of the show, but the commitment to doing the DVDs right is commendable. I wish every show could get this kind of treatment! I'd love to see the Leave it to Beaver equivalent of that ottoman! Or, if one can dream, Amos 'n Andy--a hiliarious show that has sadly been buried because of supposed (but non-existent) racist attitudes.

8. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

There's no higher priority for classic TV than the release of The Dick Van Dyke Show on DVD. Here's waiting on pins and needles. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Devil & Daniel Webster (1941)
    [​IMG] "Cinema is simply letting the audience fill in the blanks." - David Lean.

9. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    I would like to get the Ottoman edition, too, but I'll have to wait and see how much it is. This is exciting news!

10. Kajs

Kajs Second Unit

Now that we have some I Love Lucy news, is there any new news on this?

The site hasn't been updated since November.

11. David Lambert

I've tried to keep an eye on this, but no new info all along.

Maybe I'll call them when I get the chance and see what's going on. Thanks for the reminder.

12. luke j. chung

The Rumor Mill at the Digital Bits says that Paramount is releasing the complete Seasons 1 & 2 box sets of "I Love Lucy" on July 2nd & 16th! Yahooo!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

14. David Lambert

I'd love a complete set of Gilligan's Island, too...but I'm not sure there's room on my DVD shelves for a mockup of The Minnow! [​IMG]

15. Keith Yatsuhashi

Keith Yatsuhashi Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'd like to see a complete Hogan's Heroes on DVD. And of course BBC's Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

16. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg