What's new

Dick Van Dyke On DVD.....Waiting Patiently (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think the difference here is that Fox threw MTMS out to the mass market and didn't handle it differently than Buffy, X-Files, etc.
Image specializes is smaller, more niche releases. They may not sell as many copies as even MTMS has so far, but they will be more profitable (even at that SRP) because they know that this is mostly going to sell to the "cult" audience with few mass-market purchasers. For the latter, there will be copies seen in Best Buy and Costco and so forth. Think of the places you've seen Twilight Zone at, and that's where you'll spot this:

P.S.: Just like TZ (and I Spy), I'm sure Image will be using Thinpaks. Heh.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Scott, you forgot 24 S2, Alias S1, and if you have youngins around the house they probably want Kim Possible #1: The Secret Files.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Ooohhh... I'm drooling already...
For me, Dick Van Dyke is the holy grail of sitcom TV on DVD.

While I'd like to see prices closer to what M*A*S*H is selling for, it's still do-able. I think this show has more mass-appeal than MTM, and should get the 5 season release...

-Scott

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
No question. I'm pre-ordering these! Hopefully they'll release the rest of the seasons fairly quickly.

-greg

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still going to hold out for the deluxe Ottoman collection. I just think that's a super cool idea and I'd love to have it sit right next to the subwoofer. Since Dick Van Dyke uses soooo much bass. ;)

Kelly V

Stunt Coordinator
My mom and I will both be buying all of the DVDS on DVD. Best show ever on TV! I would pay more than they are quoting! :b

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
According to DVD Empire, MSRP is $59.99. DVD Empire is selling it for $47.99.
I like DVD Empire & have spent a lot of money there, but I NEVER buy box sets from them. They seem stuck on only a 20% discount on box sets. DVD Planet will have their standard 30% pre-order discount which will put it at $41.99. And based on the TZ sets, I'll bet some of the Canadian e-tailers (and perhaps Sam's & Costco) will have even better prices - probably in the $35-$40 range.

That's like $1.30 or so per episode, which is a bargain in my book (especially for such a classic show).

I'll be snagging these for sure.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm still going to hold out for the deluxe Ottoman collection.
I'm afraid Tomoko's right (in post #30). :frowning:
Or at least according to the latest data we're being told @ www.dvdondvd.com. ......
>> "We intend to make the price of each disk and the collection reasonable. At this time, we're estimating a cost of $799 with easy monthly payment options available. For this price, you'll get all 158 episodes, the bonus disks, the special DVD Ottoman, and some additional collectibles. You will also be able to purchase the disks without the Ottoman in boxed sets, as well as individual disks, all at very reasonable prices."
These DVD makers must all live on Park Avenue! :)
I'm now slightly confused about these different variations of The Dick Van Dyke Show that are now emerging.
Maybe David Lambert can investigate for us, to make sure that this upcoming (September 2) Season One release IS, in fact, simply the first one-fifth of "The Complete Ottoman Collection" that is supposedly coming in Quarter 4 this year from dvdondvd.com (from what we heard a few months ago anyway). And these discs, according to that site, will "only be available here on this website".
Then, on 01/10/2003, TimeLife put out a "best of" DVD collection...at the outrageous price of $99.99 for just 20 episodes (5 individual discs)! :eek:
Interestingly, I just now checked the TimeLife site...and D.VanDyke is no longer available through them. I couldn't find it anyway. Hmmmm.
I'm guessing that the previous TimeLife releases were "re-compilations" of material already out on disc through some minor manufacturers. Probably not nearly the quality we're liable to be seeing from the Image discs. (Do you think I'm right on this, David L.?)
I see from www.dvdondvd.com that, indeed, the "Ottoman" set (at whatever the final price might end up being; and I can't for the life of me imagine for a second that it'll stay @ $799! Even WITH the full-sized hunk o' furnishing!) is being done by Image.
If you'll recall, we saw this notation from them last June 15th.......
>>"The manufacturing of the DVD disks by Image Entertainment is continuing with great attention and care to the quality of the images. The first batch of digital transfers were rejected because they did not me the high standards you would expect. We will do everything possible to ensure a release of the collectible set in time for Christmas 2002."
So, I suppose this Season 1 September release will be exactly the same S.1 product we'll be seeing in the Ottoman set. Ya reckon? :)
And always remember ....... "A second with you is like a year with an angry mob!" -- Buddy Sorrell :) :D :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Nice packaging too. :)
(Although I can't quite make out the lettering in the lower right here. What does it say between "Season" and "1"???) .....

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I noticed while researching this latest Van Dyke development, that another great old TV show is going to be making its Digital debut sometime soon. ..... Groucho Marx' "You Bet Your Life"; The First Three LOST Seasons"!! :):D:emoji_thumbsup:
Very nice!
I love that show (both radio & TV versions. Some shows were simul-cast it seems, because I have many of the exact same shows on Radio CDs and VHS tape).
But getting those "lost" shows from 1950-'53 will be outstanding.
http://www.tvclassics.com/ has a blurb on the Groucho thing, right below the Dick Van Dyke news. .......
>>"THE LOST GROUCHO SHOWS from Groucho Marx Productions and NBC...Never rerun Full-length episodes plus Groucho's out-takes and Bonus Footage COMING ON DVD."

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Is it not "Season One, Disc 1"?
Thanks, James. Yes, I guess you're right. :)
So, we'll be getting separate cases for each disc then, eh? Cool by me. :D
(Did someone mention above, though, it'll probably be the "ThinPaks"? ... Still OK by me. Better than some other types I can think of.)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I've spent all day at the Memphis Zoo seeing the new Pandas, and other attractions. I got home not too long ago, and I'm pooped.
I'm not researching anything tonight. And tomorrow I've got the Weekly Roundup.
Gimme a couple of days and I'll if I'm up to digging into that stuff. In the meantime, some other readers of this thread might have the info at their fingertips.
I'm certain that the new set will be thinpaks, though, based just on Image's recent releases (I Spy and Twilight Zone mainly). Since the set is clearly marked on the spine as "Season 1" (and on the front, in smaller type in the dark rectangle just below Sally's typewriter).
As far as "the first one-fifth", well there are 30 eps in Season 1, plus the pilot. So yeah, that's about right. TVTome.com shows:
Pilot
S1 - 30 eps
S2 - 32 eps
S3 - 32 eps
S4 - 33 eps
S5 - 31 eps
It is true that DVDonDVD.com said the stuff was coming from Image for the Ottoman collection. It's also true that the TimeLife stuff was produced by Paul Brownstein productions, and DVDonDVD.com crucified that company at their site, if I recall correctly. I believe that later there was some sort of retraction or reconciliation, but I didn't find "proof" of it when I looked yesterday. I didn't look very thoroughly, though.
But since the Image release is apparently also produced by Paul Brownstein productions, I wonder if Image is still the company that will make anything that goes into the Ottoman set.
Frankly, I wonder if DVDonDVD will continue to even put out the Ottoman set. Really, how many people will seriously spend $800 for that? If instead they can spend under $250 street price for the entire series...why would anyone need a $550+ ottoman? Especially if it doesn't match the rest of the furniture and decor.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure that the fallout from the battle over who got to put out DVD on DVD is that Image (via Paul Brownstein) is putting out the season-by-season sets and DVDonDVD.com is putting out a higher-priced collector's edition of the same sets but in luxury packaging with non-disc extras. It would be similar to the way Warner puts out, say, Blade Runner as a special-edition DVD and then Creative Design releases the same DVD in a special box with non-disc extras such as lobby cards, a senitype and a poster.

But the content of the DVD is no different.

I'm pretty sure.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Randy, I'm pretty sure that this statement must be correct.
For, I just cannot imagine Image Ent. putting out TWO DIFFERING products of the very same TV program.
What you said, Randy, must be accurate ..... That the Image boxed seasons will be the same, whether buying them @ DVD Empire, Amazon, or thru DVDonDVD.com.
DVDonDVD says they'll be adding to the Season Sets with three separate discs of Dick Van Dyke/Mary Tyler Moore Specials:
>> "The specials will each be on its own disc:
The Color Special, "Dick Van Dyke and the Other Woman (Mary Tyler Moore)", which aired on CBS April 13, 1969.
"The Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered" hosted by Charles Kuralt for CBS in 1995.
and "Inside the Dick Van Dyke Show", produced by TVLAND for their Fandemonium Marathon in 2000."
------------------------------------------
I'd very much like to have the above 3 special programs.
And, according to DVDonDVD, we SHOULD be able to buy those separately at the DVDonDVD website.
So, the smart D.VanDyke purchaser can amass the complete series and the three separate "Specials" discs for hundreds of dollars less than the $799 price tag by buying the seasons elsewhere for less than 50 clams each...then going to DVDonDVD.com and picking up the three Specials. :)
The only things, then, you'll be missing will be some "personally autographed items" (of unknown ilk at this time) and the ottoman, which 95% of buyers don't want/need in the first place.
Now .... The only question (I think :)) I still have would be: Will seasons 2 thru 5 follow in a short time frame....or is Image going to s-t-r-e-t-c-h these babies out for a few years?
DVDonDVD claims you'll still be able to get the COMPLETE SERIES (158 eps.) once the Deluxe Ottoman Collection is released.
BUT, it just might be, that if we opt for the much, much cheaper route of going to DVD Empire (et al), we'll be in for a bit of a wait as far as Seasons Two-->Five are concerned.
Still, I'd be more than willing to wait (however long it takes) in order to save HUNDREDS of dollars! (It'd be something to "look forward" to, at any rate.) :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I finally dug up some more data. By way of asking Image Entertainment some questions, and getting great answers from the management at their Publicity Dept., who consulting with the Production Dept. on the information.
All answers pertaining to the immediate release are now listed here, in the new TVShowsOnDVD release listing for Season 1. It goes over all the supplements mentioned to me, plus verifies my thoughts that the pilot is included and that all discs are contained in Thinpaks. The information is, word-for-word, the answers I was sent (although I reformatted the structure into the "outline" format you see).
The only answer he gave that I didn't publish there was:
- Available in retail stores?
The DVD's will be available nationwide at DVD retailers and through online retailers.
I also asked a question about how frequently these would be released. I gathered they weren't able to answer that question yet. Also unanswered was my question about how this relates to the "Ottoman" set, and whether Image was still involved in that project.
It doesn't matter. I won't be worrying about the Ottoman set; the furniture isn't necessary to my enjoyment of the show. :) I expect that the Image season sets will be quite affordable, in the $40-$45 range in stores and it sounds like it will be a great set.
Here is a great new picture of the Season 1 release:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.