Dick Van Dyke On DVD.....Waiting Patiently

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Von Pein, Aug 29, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

The DVD release of the spectacular 1961-1966 TV sitcom, The Dick Van Dyke Show, has been delayed since last October by the good folks at http://dvdondvd.com/.
    They say we'll have it by Christmas 2002. I'm hoping this is true. I'm looking forward to watching all 158 episodes of this great series on DVD!
    And we're supposed to get ALL 158 shows at the SAME TIME! How's THAT for a cool idea!??
    According to the DVD-on-DVD website .........
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "You will be able to purchase one disk, a boxed season, or the whole collection. For serious collectors, we will offer a limited edition consisting of all the disks, special material, and some personally autographed items, all encased in a "flip-top" ottoman, just like the one DVD trips over (most of the time!) in the opening credits."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Very nice buying options indeed! I'm in for the whole nine yards! [​IMG]
    Who else will be getting this when it's finally released?
    I'm just wondering about the cost? We're probably looking at about 30 total discs (including three discs of "special material", which includes some variety specials and documentaries). At about $8 per disc (a guess)....I guess we all better save some greenbacks for this comprehensive Rob & Laura set!! [​IMG]
    If anybody has any further news on the DVD-on-DVD set, please come forward. (We Van Dyke fans would appreciate any info. [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]
    "OH, ROBBBBBBBBB!!"

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Original Thread
    Update Thread
    Neither of which have anything you can't read at the DVD-on-DVD site, unfortunately.
    There have been some issues that kept this from getting out, and I gather that with Image Ent. behind them the issues will get resolved and the whole thing will move forward. I'm starting to wonder about a Christmas 2002 deadline, but that might be okay. When you consider all the stuff coming in time for Christmas, I might be alright with a delay until early 2003! [​IMG]

3. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

I'll just say that I can't wait to get my hands on this in the box set version. I've been awaiting it since I happened on the website a long time ago.

4. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

5. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Thanks, David L., for providing those two other Van Dyke links. [​IMG]
    Alex and Tom ..... I agree wholeheartedly with you guys! DVD-on-DVD will be sensational!
    D. V. Dyke is one of those shows I can recite from memory! There's an incredible "naturalness" to this show unlike any program that has ever aired (IMO). It's as if there were NO scripts at all! Every scene has an ad-libbed quality, which is a testimony to Carl Reiner's genius! [​IMG]
    And how can ANYONE not love the Mel/Buddy ongoing feud?!
    "A second with you is like a year with an angry mob!" [​IMG]

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

My favorite all-time show. I'm waiting, but patiently isn't the word. [​IMG]

7. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

From DVDonDVD.com........
    January 1, 2001 BREAKING NEWS!! DVD on DVD is coming!!
    We are planning the release of all 158 episodes of the Show on DVD (and VHS video). This collectible edition will include priceless behind-the-scenes material and original commercials!
    Also to be included are:
    The Color Special, "Dick Van Dyke and the Other Woman (Mary Tyler Moore)", which aired on CBS April 13, 1969.
    "The Dick Van Dyke Show Remembered" hosted by Charles Kuralt for CBS in 1995
    and "Inside the Dick Van Dyke Show", produced by TVLAND for their Fandemonium Marathon in 2000.
    We anticipate release of the Collection on October 3, 2001, which is the 40th anniversary of the night the first episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show aired.

-----------------------------------
    I like the part about "original commercials" (although I doubt very much that everyone will like this addition).
    I'm just wondering, though, if perhaps we'll have the option to watch the shows "with" or "without" the comms.?? Would be a good idea to be able to turn them off, do you not agree?

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Mel: "Rob, where's the script? Alan's been chewing my head off!!"
    Rob: "Oh, is that how that happened!?!"
    [​IMG]

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Any D. V. Dyke fans on here today? [​IMG]
    What do you think about this comprehensive DVD set?
    Is life with a DVD Player great or what? [​IMG][​IMG]

10. AndrewG

AndrewG Extra

I am anticipating these DVD episodes on DVD as well. It really is an interesting sitcom, dated in some ways but so funny and mature that it seems to overcome the limitation.

On a related but off topic question. Any word on a similar DVD presentation of The Bob Newhart Show. That is my favorite, and i have been waiting patiently (well not patiently) since I have had my DVD player for this series.

Thanks,

Andy

11. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I haven't heard any news of a future B. Newhart DVD set. Maybe somebody else knows.
    Well.....At least we'll have Mary Tyler Moore Season 1 pretty soon (9/24)! That was a great season (MTM-1; 1970-1971)!! [​IMG]

12. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    MTM i am awaiting, and I am now saving up for the Are You Being Served Box, but this would be GREAT

I just hope they include the "Head Of The Family" Pilot that starred Reiner in the Rob Petrie part. they showed this years ago on TV Land and I missed it!

13. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

Waiting on pins and needles for the most brilliant thing ever aired on TV (or, as Buddy Sorrell would rejoinder, "Oh, you waiting for something else besides The Dick Van Dyke Show too?") [​IMG]

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

15. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

16. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit

17. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Assuming that this streets for somewhere in the $35-$39 range, that's good enough for me. I've always loved this show far more than MTM, which made the price point on it a much tougher sell for me. But I'm not sure how many people feel the same as I do.

Weren't seasons back then much longer? I thought they ran 39 shows.

18. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

The series ran for five seasons, and included 158 episodes. That yields 30+ episodes per season. As a longtime laserdisc buyer, $47.99 strikes me as no big deal. I probably paid that much each for at least 100 different movies on laserdisc.

Charlie

19. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Thank you, James! I started with your info (giving you due credit, of course), and dug up a tiny bit more from there!

20. Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S Second Unit