What's new

Dick Tracy coming to DVD April 2nd (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Regarding the aspect ratio,
I think I have to go with director's intentions,
unless s/he is in conflict with the cinematographer,
unless the director has stupid reasons for wanting
1.33:1 that have nothing to do with maintaining
the artistic integrity of the film.
(My mind harkens back to when Cameron didn't
want The Abyss presented widescreen
because people's TVs were generally too small.
That is a poor excuse to butcher the framing
of a film. It isn't a good excuse for consumers,
and certainly isn't for a director.)
Mark

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I think a distinction needs to be made. The TAR (Theatrical Aspect Ratio) is not alway the OAR of the film.

The OAR is the ratio in which the shots were originally composed (hence "Original Aspect Ratio"). For me, OAR is always preferred, TAR is acceptable, and MAR is a no sale.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im gonna wait until we get a official word before I get excited.

If theyre releasing a Vista Series Dir Cut 6 months after the barebones, Ill just have to wait. Im tired of rebuying DVDs.

I hope the Vista Series Dir Cut is true though. That would be sweet.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My mind harkens back to when Cameron didn't want The Abyss presented widescreen because people's TVs were generally too small.
This is simply a mis-characterization. Cameron stated a preference for the pan & scan & matte open & zoom &... etc. 4:3 version, but there was never a time where he said that he did not want it presented widescreen. I believe all of the versions of the Abyss on laserdisc and DVD have been available in widescreen, and only some of them have been available pan & scan. If Cameron did not want it available widescreen, it would not be available widescreen, especially on DVD considering his post-Titanic clout.

Regards,

Derek U

Stunt Coordinator
According to DVDREVIEW, Touchtone is releasing Dick Tracy (the Warren Beatty version) on DVD on April 2 for $19.95. No features or other details were mentioned. Could this be the rumored "Vista Series" disc we've all been waiting for?

Derek

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
According to DVDREVIEW, Touchtone is releasing Dick Tracy (the Warren Beatty version) on DVD on April 2 for $19.95. No features or other details were mentioned. Could this be the rumored "Vista Series" disc we've all been waiting for?
For $20? Not likely...

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ive heard 2 stories about Dick Tracy. One for a Dir Cut and the other report whch I believe was DVDfile or Digital Bits said bare bones release due soon.

It possible theyre gonna release bare bones then a SE later on.I really like that movie and the sooner the better.I wish they would get it right the first time though-Id rather wait for a SE Dir Cut.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Those are 6 popular catalog titles coming out without much fanfare at a really low price point ($14 preorder price). None of the DVD sites has listed any specs. These are definitely barebones discs, but will they at least feature anamorphic OAR presentations ? Any early reviews of these titles ?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Dick Tracy was indeed filmed open matte. I've seen actual 35mm frames. I'd like to see Beatty "windowbox" the frame if he's going to go the open frame approach. It would be even neater if the windowbox frame was made to have a black border around the picture and have a newspaper texture.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Maybe they could put 2 versions on the disc. 1 as open matte and 1 as OTR. :)
I hope this will be a vista series, but if it's a barebones then I'll just wait.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Gonna have to buy the first release. Madonna is going to be on my tv show in a few weeks and I want her signature on it!;)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have any idea what aspect ratio the DICK TRACY DVD is going to be? Neither Amazon nor DVD Empire list one as of yet and I'm very curious whether this is going to be open matte or widescreen. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I can't say for sure, but I would bet a dollar that this will be delayed, if not cancelled. Has it even been officially announced? It's supposedly due on 4/2 and no e-tailers have specs listed. While this wasn't a huge hit, it's a fairly well-known release from a large studio. I would think we would have heard something by now.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
As stated in the "Ruthless People" thread, NONE of the Disney DVDs scheduled for April have any specs listed - the April 2 BV releases, the April 23 family films (Angels in the Outfield, Iron Will, etc.)...it is very odd of Buena Vista...especially with some of these releases just 9 days away.

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a friend that works for a VHS/ DVD distributor, and this is one of his favorite movies. I don't know (or care) about any of the other releases that day.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
16x9, with DTS, theatrical cut, no special features.
I certainly hope at least the 16X9 part is true. I'd like to buy this since I've never seen it.

I can't believe that Disney's publicity people are so out to lunch they don't even promote the positives of their releases.

Judging from what has gone on at ABC, as well as the home video divisions, it would seem that Disney is sorely in need of some new leadership.

Deane

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I would want to have it in anamorphic widescreen unless I can hear Warren Beatty saying "I want this seen in full frame". Shouldn't he know that comic strips are wider than they are tall?

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
According to IMDb, it was shot full frame with an intended aspect ratio of 1.85:1. It would not surprise me if Disney released it full frame. Let's hope the information above on specs turns out to be true. I can't imagine a DTS release not being anamorphic, but these days, who knows.

Deane

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks