What's new

Dick Martin has died 5-24-2008 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just heard on the radio the Dick Martin has died.

If you don't know who he is he the martin part of the Rowan and Martin's laugh-In.

Dick Martin (I)

FOXNews.com - TV's 'Laugh-In' Comic Dick Martin Dies at 86 - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

"

LOS ANGELES — Dick Martin, the zany half of the comedy team whose "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" took television by storm in the 1960s, making stars of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and creating such national catch-phrases as "Sock it to me!" has died. He was 86.

Martin, who went on to become one of television's busiest directors after splitting with Rowan in the late 1970s, died Saturday night of respiratory complications at a hospital in Santa Monica, family spokesman Barry Greenberg said.

"He had had some pretty severe respiratory problems for many years, and he had pretty much stopped breathing a week ago," Greenberg said.

Martin was surrounded by family and friends when he died just after 6 p.m., Greenberg said.

"Laugh-in," which debuted in January 1968, was unlike any comedy-variety show before it. Rather than relying on a series of tightly scripted song-and-dance segments, it offered up a steady, almost stream-of-consciousness run of non-sequitur jokes, political satire and madhouse antics from a cast of talented young actors and comedians that also included Ruth Buzzi, Arte Johnson, Henry Gibson, Jo Anne Worley and announcer Gary Owens.

Presiding over it all were Rowan and Martin, the veteran nightclub comics whose standup banter put their own distinct spin on the show.

Like all straight men, Rowan provided the voice of reason, striving to correct his partner's absurdities. Martin, meanwhile, was full of bogus, often risque theories about life, which he appeared to hold with unwavering certainty."

He was also known for appearing on Match Game and the Love Boat among others.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
What a great loss. Every time I see Ruth Buzzi, Goldie Hawn, Lily Tomlin, Arte Johnson, Henry Gibson or Jo Anne Worley on some other show I think of Rowan and Martin and Laugh-In.

Thanks for the laughs Mr. Martin may you rest in peace.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have fond memories of watching Laugh-In when I was in college in the late 60s. The TV rooms in my dorm would be completely packed to watch this show on Monday nights. As soon as the show was over most students would leave. It was one of the only show at the time that had a universal appeal to all college kids.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I loved the show when it premiered, and I loved the team (as well as many of the other stars on that show). RIP, Mr. Martin.

Some of the more fond memories I recall from some of the stars were "You bet your sweet bippy!" and "The Fickled Finger of Fate Award," and of course, "Veeerrry interesting." :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks