What's new

DiCaprio & Scorsese In Third Collaboration (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
This time, they will be joined by Matt Damon in the police thriller, "The Departed", previously titled, "Infernal Affairs".

From Variety:

Brad Grey, Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt will be involved in the production. Sounds like a solid team at the outset.

~Edwin

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I've certainly heard nothing but good things about the Infernal Affairs series, and I knew Scorcese was working on a transmigration, but that's a heck of a cast.

Funny to see Damon and DiCaprio working together; didn't Damon wind up getting a few jobs a while back because DiCaprio couldn't commit to a picture?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Anyone know what happened to the release date of the original here? I read it was supposed to be next month but now I can't find anything about it.

~T

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
There have been rumours about a US remake of Infernal Affairs for many months now - even the DVD trailer of the HK version states such that. But the rumours I heard was of Brad Pitt securing the rights to the movie and was extremely keen on playing one of the two main leads portrayed by Any Lau & Tony Leung Chiu-Wai. Tom Cruise was the other male actor bandied around to play opposite him. Nevertheless, DiCaprio & Damon sounds like a great call with a seemingly younger target audience in mind.

If you haven't seen the Infernal Affairs trilogy, try to get it on DVD (region 3). It is often regarded as HK's version of The Godfather. There are also character influences from John Woo and Scorcese himself.

Now knowing that Scorcese will helm this picture, my excitement and anticipation level for this movie has climbed up ten notches.

I wonder thought if Scorcese is intending on incorporating some of the storyarcs and characters from Parts 2 & 3, or will he try to divide the movie and repackage it in seperate volumes, ala Kill Bill?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Definitely exciting. The first two films in the original trilogy are great - I'm seeing IA3 in a couple of days, and am excited.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Because, unlike the other hack $100 million dollar films, a Scorsese film will be viewed years from now while something like VAN HELSING will be forgotten the next summer when the new blockbuster opens.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Darn, I kinda wanted Dicaprio to play the mob mole and Damon to play the cop. I can't wait to see Nicholson as the mob boss. I'm eagerly awaiting the casting decision for the equivalent of SP Wong.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

The Yahoo article says that every major role is cast except for the female role, which suggests to me that Wahlberg is going to be the cop equiv. to Wong.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Well, Gangs of New York and The Aviator also budgets around $100 million, so it's not the first time.

Wahlberg? Ugh. Nothing against him, but I was imagining someone much older. We'll see.

EDIT: DAMN, I just looked up Anthony Wong's (SP Wong) age on IMDB, and he's less than a year older than both Andy Lau and Tony Leung. He looked a lot older than them in the movie. I guess Wahlberg will fit age-wise, but not with the looks, unless the makeup department does something drastic to him.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm excited by this. I love Scorsese's works. I havn't seen any of the originals of these, but based on Scorsese's and Dicaprio's track record, this should be great.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
True Kirk. It could also be that Scorsese has become such a legend that producer's are wanting to work with him in order to have their name on a great movie. Both GANGS and THE AVIATOR did well enough at the box office here in the States plus you add in sales/rentals then I'm sure both made their money back for the producer's. The producer's made their money back and also got to be part of a legendary director's career.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
GONY and The Aviator are Scorsese's biggest budget films by quite a large margin.

The IA remake needn't be a huge budget and it's not much of a gamble. By the time the risk is spread around amongst producing studios/investors, foreign distribution rights and home video there is really little risk for the main studio...but quite a lot of prestige to be gained. With a cast and source like these, this project looks to be Marty's biggest grosser yet.

Pre-GONY Scorsese worked with decent but by no means big budgets. His acclaimed films didn't make huge profits but neither did the weaker ones loose much. Marty is very mindful of what he has to do if he wants to keep making movies.

I love the IA flicks and I love Scorsese - it's a great match-up. I'm pumped!

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
I look at it this way: Scorsese's name is on it, so I'm there. In the post-Titanic time I've become a big fan of DiCaprio and I've always been a fan of Pitt and Damon.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
sounds promising although I have not seen the original so can anyone point me to a good site to buy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks