What's new

DiC toons coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
From toonzone:

UAV Entertainment has partnered with DiC Entertainment to release more animated titles on DVD and VHS as part of UAV's "Animation Station" catalog library.

The first titles to be released in this deal are Heathcliff: Fish Tales and Heathcliff: Terror of the Neighborhood, both arriving on 2.24.04 (with DVDs retailing at $14.99). Each title features the voice talents of the legendary Mel Blanc as Heathcliff, and includes nine episodes.

UAV will continue to distribute select Heathcliff titles throughout 2004, along with other DiC properties planned for DVD/VHS release, including The Care Bears, Sylvanian Families, The Littles, Sabrina: The Animated Series, Inspector Gadget, and Super Mario Bros.

(via Video Business Magazine, print edition)

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz

....it's the Mario! Take one step, and then again, c'mon it's time to go! Do the Mario!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Matt, you are gonna burn for putting that song in my head! I can't even play super Mario any more without thinking of Captain Lou dancin and singin!

The only one of the above I'm really interested in (and not really interested in) is The Littles, but mainly for the ABC Storytime movie type one that I vaguely remember them showing as a 2 parter in the 80's. (Or I'm just remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure it would be about 2 hours. Dave! Help me out! Dave!)

... swing your arms from side to side, come on, do the mario...

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I'll definitely get Super Mario Brothers. Apparently Trimark brought out a compilation disc but it's been out of print for over a year.

Does anyone know where I could find a list of all the cartoons under the DiC label?

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Yeah but they're talking about the ones that arent released yet Josh:) Not just the Care Bears, Check the dates.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
TVShowsOnDVD.com has an update (with specs and art for several) on the status of some DiC toons.

I'm pretty excited that Heathcliff sets are getting 9 episodes per disc. There will be 18 episodes already available by the end of this month!

It also seems as if Inspector Gadget, Super Mario, and Captain N discs are coming, possibly in order of original airdate. Someone at DiC is also saying that some shows will collect all the volumes for each show at the end of the year into a boxset (the only difference being a box to house them in ... possibly a cheaper price).

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Will it be 9 actual episodes or 9 Heathcliff cartoon segments? Because weren't there 2 or 3 cartoons per episode?

Also, didn't DiC do the Real Ghostbusters and the second series of G.I. Joe?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

Yes, I think there were 2 (possibly 3 though) cartoon segments per episode. If there were 3 per half hour and they are counting 3 segments as individual episodes when they say "9" on the package, it still wouldn't justify the MSRP hike from the $9 range on most of the DiC toons discs to the $14 price. Because the running time would still be the same.

So I'm thinking 9 full episodes per disc for around $14 MSRP.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Does the heathcliff fish tales dvd, have the famous heathcliff someone should opening intro to the cartoon on the dvd ? Is it played on all 9 ? Dont want to buy the full set from shout, just a casual fan.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
It has been a long time since I watched them but from what I remember the opening was only shown at the beginning and possibly before the menu screen. I am uncertain if I still have these, they may be in the back of a closet. This is by memory, I may be wrong and can't check just as of yet.

Even as a casual fan, I recommend the set which is 20.93 at dd. The rest are out of print and are just not as good, plus, apparently bad sales of it hurt the chances for other DiC series to make their DVD debut. I see Fishtales still being sold from DVD Empire for 12.34, much more than it is worth.

The Shout Factory one has interviews, comic strip galleries, and psa for pet care type comments, I am uncertain if Fish Tales has the psa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks